Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 28, 2004, 11:38 AM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Vote!!

I'm not going to tell anyone how they should vote, but I'll tell you this: according to the CBC last night, BC is most likely to be the deciding province. In addition, many ridings are going to boil down to extremely tight races.

If you care about the next government you're going to be living under, your vote could make the difference...literally. Last election, one riding was decided by a 12 vote majority. So for all those thinking it makes no difference...that riding could have been decided by just 13 people thinking that way and not showing up. The players from one bigband gig could have swung the vote (no pun intended). Vote strategically, vote your conscience, spoil your ballot, but VOTE. This is the only time they're going to ask your opinion (and care about your answer) for a while, and it matters.

Anyone else wonder if the moved-up timing for the handover of Iraqi sovereignty had anything to do with the Canadian elections as well as the Iraqi security situation? I think the handover is a good thing, but as a chess move, it's interesting timing for removing the "yeah, I'll believe they'll hand it back when it isn't postponed at the 11th hour" talk. Talk about getting maximum bang for your "influencing the internal affairs of sovereign nations" buck - a twofer.

I know who the US believes would be their most sympathetic government in Canada. Perhaps they'd feel that way now more than ever: some folks may be looking for somewhere to relocate to after November.

"Being bitter is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other guy to die"

-unknown
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
'm not going to tell anyone how they should vote,
Okay, then I will. Unless you're damn sure the conservative candidate in your riding has no chance of winning VOTE LIBERAL. I've never voted Liberal in my life and thank god i don't have to now because I'm in Van Centre.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to sheetmusicselle
Vote Liberal... it makes life more fun

what difference does it make? It's Canada for crying out loud... eh?
Old Jun 28, 2004, 12:50 PM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Good point

I agree with your point...no matter how bad a government we got, it would still be better than what you folks down there have had to deal with for the last couple of years. But although our standards are admittedly higher - misguided ideologue or not, I don't think Harper actually has a Halliburton bar code tattooed on the back of his neck - he and his party are still a bunch of fundamentalist, homophobic nutbags, and if we don't vote today, we might get our own gang of wackos to deal with.

Your poor old Constitution, huh? I have a great deal of respect for the ideals and aspirations of that document, which I've read many times. A couple of years of using that and the Geneva Convention as toilet paper and it's going to be a couple of generations to get the smell out. It must drive you nuts to see what that gang of chickenhawks and profiteers has done to your country's prestige and reputation in the eyes of the world. But your news is so censored that a lot of Americans don't even realize that.

Good luck in November. We and the rest of the free world will be keeping our fingers crossed for you - you have our sympathies and our support.

Import Democracy and Freedom, Eh!

-unknown

Last edited by Kerry Galloway : Jun 28, 2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:20 PM
www.kerrygalloway.com

I said I wasn't trying to tell anyone who to vote for, but we all know who - or what - we're trying to vote against.

Here's a choice collection:

<SNIP>

canada news

Saturday, Jun 26, 2004

It's not so much the Liberals that give Stephen Harper political migraines on the election trail as his own party faithful.

The Conservative Leader was again forced off message Friday, downplaying suggestions by a former Reform Justice critic that the new Tories may alter the Charter of Rights and Freedoms to better protect their social values.

Liberals seized on comments by Randy White, who told a documentary filmmaker it might be time to use the notwithstanding clause to limit the powers of unelected judges to define marriage and other issues.

It was powerful ammunition for those keen to cast Harper as a scary extremist just three days before the election...

<SNIP>

The documentary taped an interview with White just before the election was called on May 23, in which he suggested it was time to redefine - and rename - the Charter.

In the interview he said his views on same-sex marriage matched those of the Conservative party.

But Friday, White issued a terse statement that said: "These were my own personal opinions. They are not the leader's views, and they are not the views of the party."

Harper had said the same when questioned earlier Friday.

It's a line the leader has had to use repeatedly in the last five weeks.

Eastern Ontario incumbent Cheryl Gallant was only speaking for herself when she said legislation protecting gays from hate crimes would likely be repealed by the Conservatives, Harper explained two weeks ago.

And he again went into damage control when Frank Luellau, a Tory candidate in the Ontario riding of Kitchener-Conestoga, publicly condemned homosexuality.

A week before that, Harper had to clarify that his former languages critic and confidant, Scott Reid, was expressing his own view - not party policy - when he suggested bilingualism policies should be reviewed.

On Friday, Harper stressed that he would only use the notwithstanding clause "with great prudence."

He has left the door open to using the contentious measure to set aside any Supreme Court of Canada judgment legalizing same-sex marriage.

<snip>

Let's add that Johl, Conservative in my riding, was interviewed in the Courier. When listing reasons NOT to vote for his opponents, he commented that "Mr Waddle" (deliberately mispronouncing Waddell's name) was gay.

PLEASE vote against the Conservatives. PLEASE. It matters. I was in voting today and there were about four people in there.

-unknown
Old Jun 28, 2004, 03:36 PM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Yeesh, I'm being some kind of political rabble rouser today. But I had to add this post:

<SNIP>

...one Liberal strategist, speaking on condition of anonymity, speculated the tension could persist beyond voting day.

That's because the final seat totals could hinge on judicial recounts in the most closely contested ridings.

There were eight such recounts in the last election...

<SNIP>

-unknown
Old Jun 29, 2004, 03:15 AM

Funny, surrey north is the only riding in canada to be represented by an independant.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 07:30 AM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Crazy horse race that was. The Libs plus the NDP have 154 seats as it stands today, before the recounts are done. In a 308 seat house, one seat shy of controlling Parliament. And some of the races in individual ridings were so close that they won't be certain until the recounts are done. Last election, the recounts didn't change anything. Who knows this time?

Amazing. Congratulations and many thanks to those who summoned up their energy and went out and voted. You made the difference.

-unknown

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: