Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old May 16, 2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Who is Randy Bachman?

And what the heck is a jazz thing?
Old May 17, 2004, 10:56 AM

I believe he refers to himself as an "electric" Lenny Breau. Whatever that means.
Old May 17, 2004, 12:06 PM

Dear Brian,

You crafty bugger ,you. Things get a little quiet around the old discussion board, so you come up with this piece of baldfaced polemics. It's right up there with your "Hockey" thread.

Dumping on poor old Randy is kind of like shooting fish in a barrel though. Now Rod Stewrart's burnt offering. THERE was an unmitigated piece of offal. Did you HEAR that thing? Yeesh! As I recall, Randy's "jazz" efforts are relatively innocuous. (Undun. Blue Collar) A couple of minor chords in something other than root position, dial up a little bass on the Fender Twin and presto! Ersatz jazz. Perfect stuff for the "jazz=hockey" arguefyers, actually. I mean, what could be more "Hockey-jazz" than a 10 minute, one chord wank on "Blue Collar" that sounds just like Wes Montgomery trying to play with oven mitts on after a serious head injury.

Hey, any guy who'll spend his own money to release obscure Lenny Breau tracks is allright by me. Maybe he's been practising.
Old May 21, 2004, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I don't normally read Payback Time in the Straight (in fact the only thing I read in the Straight is Dan Savage, Bill Tieleman, and the cartoons, which haven't been funny since Rand Holmes left the paper) but Gavin Walker hipped me to the following bit of pointless jocularity:

http://www.straight.com/content.cfm?id=2801

Personally, I'd liked to have seen Varty actually respond to this.
Old May 21, 2004, 12:07 PM
cybertrumpet

I applaud Randy's efforts and think it is a good thing. Why the heck not? He is a musician of stature that can really play, so why not take a jazz path. To me, it shows that he obviously has a respect for the music and a love for it(regardless of his level). I know that he and Pat hang out on the island, which is probably what promted it. Nice John....again I have to say, I cannot see what hockey has to do with jazz....LOL
Old May 21, 2004, 12:33 PM

That had better be satire.

You know what Brian? I was amused before. Now I'm actually genuinely pissed off. What that "pointless little bit of jocularity" seems to be suggesting" is that his royal Vartiness is in the habit of accepting "favors" in return for coverage, an accusation no serious journalist would let pass. You're damn right he should respond, or lose whatever dubious credibility he still possesess.

A while before I left Vancouver, I posted my own bit of pointless jocularity, suggesting that Mr. Varty had devoted an unacceptable amount of revue space to an album by Norwegian percussionist Terje Isungset called "Ice Is," in which the afforemention herring choker had performed on instruments made of ice, in a STUDIO made of ice. I had basically said something to the effect of "please Alex, tell us it's a put on," and then cooked up my own press release for an upcoming Cellar gig where I promised to perform on a saxophone made entirely of baloney.

Even this baldfaced gambit failed to get me any coverage in the Straight (although it occurs to me now that I neglected to mention to Varty that I do have Norwegian blood on my mother's side of the family) though that didn't come as a huge surprise. I led my own jazz groups in Vancouver for over ten years, and in all that time I'd never been able to get anyone in the "arts" dept. of that paper to so much as return a phone call. But I must have hit a nerve (and Varty obviously must read this forum) because I arrived home from a road trip to find an e-mail from Mr. Varty in my in-box. I've had a computer crash since then so I no longer possess the original mail, but as I recall the general gist of it, he basically said that "Norwegians Sound Ice Trumpet" was likely to sell more advertising than "Middle Aged White Guy Plays Jazz Standards." Hey, I can dig that. It's a business, babe. Get used to it. But as I pointed out to him in my return mail (A) I write much of my own repertoire, as he would no doubt be aware if he'd bothered to listen to my debut CD as leader "One Up, Two Back" which I'd sent him just a few months before, and (B) I may be a middle aged white guy, but I'm a middle aged white guy who spent years playing in blues and funk bands, toured with some of the premier practitioners of those genres, have had a long and varied career as a professional musician going back 30 years, and am just an all-round fascinating kinda guy.

We went back and forth a little about this, he pleaded disorganization and personal problems in somehow losing my CD, and asked me to send him another, which I did. I was quite pleased by this turn of events, feeling that, after all those years, I'd finally at least been able to open up a dialogue with "King Alex."

Long story short, I've never heard another word from him, so I guess he didn't like the record. I no longer live in Vancouver, so I guess I no longer give a "fiddler's fart" what Mr. Alex and the rest of the Straight crew do or don't think about me and my music. But I've decided to go public with what I previously regarded as private communication between Mr. Varty and myself to suggest that, given Mike Usinger's revelations, I might have had better results if I'd included a money order with my promo package.

Over to you, Alex.
Old May 21, 2004, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
To me, it shows that he obviously has a respect for the music
I haven't removed the shrink-wrap from my promo copy of his CD and will pass on his Cellar gig this weekend precisely because, if titles mean anything, "jazz thing" makes me think he has zero respect for the music. That was the point of my original post.

As for your interesting post, Doheny, I'm gonna need a nice long nap before I respond or I'm gonna say some bad things.
Old May 21, 2004, 05:35 PM

I think the "taste" or "respect" ship left the dock a long time ago for anyone who overdubs on a dead artist's track. If they'd wanted you there in the first place, they probably would have asked you to do the session. Even if he knew the guy and they hung out when they were kids and played guitar together. Even if your name is "Natalie" and your dad was Nat. Even if it (by some grace of god) actually sounds good. No matter who told you it's a good idea. It's not. I haven't heard it, but I'm sure it sucks almost as much as G/Armstrong, and Bennet/Holliday. But hopefully Cory will get a packed, big money crowd out of it.
Old May 21, 2004, 08:36 PM
cybertrumpet

Yeah, true enough. I do respect Randy as a musician and won't slam him for this.......
Old May 22, 2004, 09:39 AM

I'd like to make it clear I'm not dumping on Bachman in my previous post. At worst he's guilty of naivete in presuming to step into a career in jazz without paying any dues. What I'm objecting to is a media cabal that falls all over itself to give coverage to a guy who's spent the last 45 years playing some pretty unchallenging music. There's an article in the Edmonton Sun that even suggests Bachman's "lowering" himself to working in the jazz market is the equivalent of Michael Jordon's quitting the NBA to play minor league baseball!?!? Is there ANYBODY out there besides me who doesn't think that analogy is exactly backwards?

It's not a level playing field here. Bachman can afford to hire press agents and publicity people to get his product before the public. Most jazz musicians do that stuff themselves. And the degree of coverage one receives is rarely predicated on the music in question, but rather on how marketable a "personality" the musician is, or whether there's a "hook." "Rock Star Turns Jazzer" is an easy sell, regardless of whether there's any substance behind it or not. Even in some of the "jazz press." I noticed Gregory J. Robb in "Allaboutjazz.com" thinks the album is swell.

Brian, maybe you ought to take the shrink wrap off that "Thing" and let us know what you think. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Randy's the hottest thing since James "Blood" Ulmer.
Old May 22, 2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Brian, maybe you ought to take the shrink wrap off that "Thing" and let us know what you think.
Life's too short.
Old May 22, 2004, 01:20 PM

Hey, no disrespect to the Bach-man... I'll sing along with Takin' Care of Buisness until the day I can't remember the words anymore. But when it comes to overdubbing on dead people, I'll call that shit as I see it; it blows dead goats, and nobody would ever do it if it wasn't for the sad fact that it happens to sell records.
Old May 22, 2004, 01:32 PM
cybertrumpet

Yeah, when Dick Grove was alive I asked him about this very thing. he said that the record sales from "shite" like this usually is unreal. Dick was asked on many occasions to do the orchestration for the Natalie Cole thing and he turned it down many times......Morgan, you are bang on. This kind of stuff is just totally absurd. I love Randy's playing and for me, when he is out from burnin', there really is not a better rock sound. I used to think that there were only 2 kinds of music, good and bad. Now, I can see that there are three.....good, bad and the ugly.
I still read (at least once a week) the article that pat Metheny wrote tearing Kenny G a new one about doing the same thing over Pops recording of "Wonderful World". the last phrase of the article reads, "and if I ever meet Kenny in person, he will end up with my guitar wrapped around his head."
Old May 22, 2004, 02:36 PM

Well if we're gonna critique BTO (or as my good friend John Burton of Doug and the Slugs dubbed them back in the 70s "Bacon and Tomato Overdrive") then THAT I feel emminently qualified to do. I don't know what Bachman's playing is like nowadays, but in the seventies it was some truly sad ass shit.

Burton and I worked on a band called "Burning Ground" that was handled by the Allen-Feldman Agency, who were instrumental in developing BTO, way back when they were still known as "Brave Belt." We opened some shows for them, and it was an excruciating experience, let me tell ya. Robbie Bachman was utterly incabaple of even playing time. Everytime he attempted a fill it was anybod's guess where it would end up. Randy's singing voice was always cracking on the high notes like a 12 year old boy's, I remember wondering out loud why they didn't just do the tunes in lower keys, and Burton informing me that doing so would place them in uncomfortable areas for their limited musicianship. Long "jazz" excursions on one chord vamps were predecessors to later efforts by Spinal Tap. Fred Turner could sort of play, and was a better singer than Bachman, but watching these chubsters essay "rock star" moves with beer bellies a-flappin almost had us wetting ourselves with laughter. And live, the whole mess was often horribly out of tune.

BTO and the Guess Who may be beloved Canadian icons today, but their fan base in the seventies was suburban, pick-up truck types. Anybody with aspirations towards being hip avoided them like a bad smell. As I get older I realize that life is long and strange, but if you'd told me back in 1973 that in the 21st century I'd be competing for press coverage and a gig at the Yardbird Suite with RANDY freakin BACHMAN, I'd a said you were stone crazy.

p.s. I know it's rather cowardly to snipe at these guys from 3,000 miles away. But I'll be up in Canada for a few gigs this summer so they can get their licks in then.
Old May 24, 2004, 05:58 PM

Who is Randy Bachman

Hi all,

I just wanted to drop a quick line on the Randy Bachman album. The review speaks for itself but I would only add that, for me, the record works "in places." The way I told it to my brother was that there was some stellar playing "in spots" and that Bachman's ambition as a jazz player was realized in a very limited way on JazzThing. Naturally. One has to play this type of music for a long, long time to be able to do it well.

I suspect Bachman knows that but pressed forward with the record anyway.

Cheers,
Greg Robb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: