Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Vancouver Jazz History
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:12 AM

Chris Gage, Fraser MacPherson and others on film

A CBC archivist named Colin Preston (colin_preston@cbc.ca) tells me they have lots of TV footage of Chris Gage and other stuff as well, like a mid-1960s documentary about Fraser MacPherson. The way I understand it, Colin is willing to show the films at a small auditorium or other room if he can team up with a community group to organize the event.
He’s been doing a series of events showing historical film and TV footage of Vancouver at community centres. Each of the events was organized by the community centre or a non-profit group.
Is there an existing group that’s interested in taking this up?
If not, does anyone want to start a small group to organize one or a few of these events? I’d be willing to offer my time.
I assume it would have to be a non-profit event with free admission. Free venues would be available at community centres and libraries, while free publicity would be available through this site and the other media.
I wonder, though, about the sound quality on old footage.
Anyone interested?
Old May 4, 2004, 09:38 PM

Coastal Jazz is looking into this. Turns out they were already thinking along the same lines for a project on Vancouver’s jazz heritage, so there should be some great events coming up.
Old May 6, 2004, 03:22 PM

As one of the stars in the Fraser MacPherson documentary (I made my singing debut in it) I have to say it's great. Really well done with a cool '60s look to it. I've screened it in my apartment many times. Brian Nation can attest to its quality (if not the quality of my singing).
Old May 7, 2004, 01:35 AM

Is that Diary of a Musician, circa 1966?
Whatever, it’s good to hear it’s in circulation.
Guy, you’ll have to excuse my abysmal ignorance because I don’t know who you are. But since there’s often a correlation between modesty and talent, I look forward to hearing you.
Old May 7, 2004, 09:49 AM

Yeah, it's Diary of a Musician. And no, it's not in circulation that I know of. I just have a copy. And you won't ever hear me sing again. That was my debut and retirement engagement all in one.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Coastal Jazz is looking into this. Turns out they were already thinking along the same lines for a project on Vancouver’s jazz heritage, so there should be some great events coming up.
So what's the word? That was a few years ago now. Has there been any progress?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: