Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Seen / Heard
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:52 AM

Montreal (McGill) Based Quintet in Town

Hello Vancouver Jazz People:

I thought some of you would like to know that the Jeska Quintet is coming to Vancouver late April early May. We are based in Montreal - like many of Vancouver's current musicians were at some point.

All members of our quintet are currently in McGill's "Big Band I" under the direction of Gordon Foote. The McGill big band is doing a stint at the Rocky Mountain Festival in April, after which the Jeska Quintet is breaking free and heading to Van.

We are playing in a very intimate setting at The Silk Purse (1570 Argyle Ave, in West Vancouver) on Thursday, April 29th at 7:30 pm. We have been trying for additional gigs, but have had difficulty given the last-minuteness of our planning.

Jeska Quintet is Steve McKnight (Trumpet), Evan Smith (Sax), Jon Day (Piano), Aryeh Kobrinsky (Bass), J.D. Katz (Drums). Of course, you can check out or music clips online via our website www.jeska.ca under the "music" section. We are also doing daytime workshops at B.C. schools as a recruitment deal for McGill.

Also - this website is great! I am originally from Vancouver, but have spent the last 5 years in Montreal. This site is like peek into the jazz world of Vancouver. Thank you - and for those of you who aren't playing on April 29th, I invite you to come check us out for some jazz near the beach!

Have there been any recent jam sessions? We would love to play with some Vancouver cats...

Cheers from Montreal,

Jon Day.

PS If you're interested in coming to our show, you may want to put your name on the reservation list, as the venue does not hold many people! Tix call Silk Purse Directly 604-925-7292

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: