Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Seen / Heard
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 14, 2003, 01:20 PM

Michael Brecker

I wasn't able to go to the Vancouver show on Wednesday so I took a trip down to Demetrios' Jazz Alley in Seattle last night. Brecker's band was Joey Calderrazzo, Adam Rogers, Chris Minh Doky, and Clerence Penn. It was, as you all might guess, astonishing.

They played tunes Brecker has recorded before, like "African Skies" and "Delta City Blues".

They're playing tonight as well. I say GO AND HEAR THEM if you didn't go on Wednesday! ($20 cover)
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:24 PM

I DID see them at Cap... and yeah, they're all incredible. Getting to see Mr. Calderrazzo manhandle that piano was a particularly special treat.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 03:52 PM

I was also at the Capilano College show and, yeah, the band was great. I went to hear Michael Brecker, but it was nice to hear so much more than just him.

Most, I enjoyed hearing the reworked versions of tunes from Time is of the Essence. It's a good CD, but the band made the tunes sound more interesting and more cool than those on the recording. Guess it's more proof that jazz is best served live.

(They also did a great job on The Cost of Living.)
Old Dec 16, 2003, 01:34 AM

Brecker asked the audience if we could hear the piano and everyone yelled "No!"...and the soundman STILL didn't turn him up. Otherwise a great concert. And I thought that long acapella bass solo was truly amazing. Anyone else notice Brecker looking more and more like Frank Zappa?
Old Dec 16, 2003, 10:19 AM

In the set I heard in Seattle Minh Dokey took only one, short solo. I remember that Calderazzo and Penn were really playing off each other, and smiling at each other all set like a couple of kids. Cool!
Old Dec 16, 2003, 12:44 PM

From the way he plays, I can tell that Joey C has got to be one of the world's funnest pianists to play with... he was bringin' it.
Old Dec 16, 2003, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mel
In the set I heard in Seattle Minh Dokey took only one, short solo. I remember that Calderazzo and Penn were really playing off each other, and smiling at each other all set like a couple of kids. Cool!
This reminded me of another thing about the band that impressed me at the Capilano College show -- their ability to shift the pulse as a unit, apparently on the spur of the moment.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 02:29 PM
dapsimpkin

Michael Brecker..cap college 2004

I was at that concert...capilano college....I had a front row seat and my camera was working overtime.Michael and group had just flown in from New York and you know how that can take it's toll on the best of us...still they played brilliantly!
If any one wants to see some of my pics email me at dapsimpkin@yahoo.ca and I'll be glad to send some to you
Old Mar 7, 2004, 02:57 PM

post the pictures here!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 03:21 PM
dapsimpkin

Quote:
Originally posted by jkorsrud
Brecker asked the audience if we could hear the piano and everyone yelled "No!"...and the soundman STILL didn't turn him up. Otherwise a great concert. And I thought that long acapella bass solo was truly amazing. Anyone else notice Brecker looking more and more like Frank Zappa?
yes he does...if you remember him dropping his water bottle off the stage...that was me that picked it up for him lol ...A jewish zappa no doubt
Old Mar 7, 2004, 03:40 PM
dapsimpkin

Re: Michael Brecker..cap college 2004

Quote:
Originally posted by dapsimpkin
I was at that concert...capilano college....I had a front row seat and my camera was working overtime.Michael and group had just flown in from New York and you know how that can take it's toll on the best of us...still they played brilliantly!
If any one wants to see some of my pics email me at dapsimpkin@yahoo.ca and I'll be glad to send some to you
give me some time ...I have the rolls and still haven't developed them...as soon as i have time to take them in I will post them

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: