Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 10, 2003, 06:01 PM

What Are You Listening To?

These types of threads can be annoying, if they are based on flaming one another's choices. If we honestly share what we've been listening to, there's potential for many of us to learn. Besides, what's the deal with so many views and so few posts on this forum?

Oliver Schroer - Restless Urban Primitive
Thomas Chapin - Radius
Glenn Spearman - Blues For Falasha
Tony Wilson Quintet - Horseplay
David Lindley y Wally Ingram (Los Chromosomes) - Twango Bango III
Stina Nordenstam - People Are Strange

Old Dec 11, 2003, 12:08 AM
Poib

John Zorn-ANYTHING
Conlon Nancarrow-Studies for Player Piano
Mike Patton-Adult Themes For Voice
Cryptopsy-None So Vile
Captain Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica
and a lot of my own compositions that i am currently writing.

thats basically a small cross section of my listening habits in the past 3-4 days
Old Dec 11, 2003, 06:47 AM

Thanks poib, but I meant today or very recently. As in what was just in your player. I'm not familiar with Cryptopsy, hardcore I gather, I'm curious. And still haven't got to Nancarrow, but I will.

Old Dec 11, 2003, 09:14 AM

Guy Klucevsek - Stolen Memories
Ellery Eskelin w/ Andrea Parkins & Jim Black - 12 (+1) Imaginary Views
Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits
David Shea - Shock Corridor
Art Pepper - Modern Art
Grateful Dead - Dick's Picks 18 (2.3.78 Madison, WI & 2.5.78 Cedar Falls, IN)

Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:04 PM
Poib

yeah cryptopsy is death metal from Montreal. Not the kinda stuff most people on this forum would enjoy, but I've liked it since I was 13 or so. Gorguts is another Montreal band that sounds like an atonal-jazz excercise buried under loads of distortion.

And Conlon is amazing. You really should check out his stuff. It's along the same complex lines as Milton Babbit's stuff and Frank Zappa's "Jazz From Hell"(Conlon is actually the main influence for JFH).

this site has some good info/sound clips on the genius.

http://news.mpr.org/features/199710/...era_nancarrow/
Old Dec 11, 2003, 05:38 PM

What's in the player RIGHT NOW!

Joe Henderson: Inner Urge.
Debussy: Prelude A L'apres-Midi D'un Faune. Cleveland Orchestra. Pierre Boulez conducting
And, by incredible coincidence, ART PEPPER: MODERN ART ( I'm just finishing a transcription of his solo on "Stompin at the Savoy."

On top of the player (meaning they were in there earlier today).

Louis Armstrong" The Hot Fives and Hot Sevens.
Alvin Batiste: Songs, Messages, Words, Connections.
Buddy Guy: Buddy's Blues: Classic Chess Sides.

Hey, this is a cool idea.:-)
Old Dec 12, 2003, 11:21 AM
Yodi

current driving music :-)

coltrane : Love Supreme...(essential for getting from A to B)
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers : Moanin...(essential for taking your time getting from A to B)
Oliver Gannon - Live at the Celler...Miles Black swings like hell!
Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris...Love it!
Bill Evans Trio - MoonBeams...if you havent heard it, semi - local Chuck Isreals is beautiful...what a set of shoes to fill. Brings a tear to my eye.
Kool and the Gang - 20th Century Masters...the art of the pocket .

Discs currently spinning :-)
Old Dec 12, 2003, 02:17 PM

Poib: Thanks for the link & info
John: re: Modern Art, I love it when that happens with these threads. Glad you like the thread idea. Stole it from Jazz Corner's Speakeasy. I'm sure folks do it elsewhere, too.
Yodi & John: 8 years ago, I had a break-in (no insurance) & lost 100's of my bread & butter jazz & other discs, many of which I still haven't been able to replace. You guys posted several of those. I miss them.

Today I'm listening to:

John Coltrane - Coltrane's Sound
Iannis Xenakis - Persepolis (plus Varese/Penderecki/Ligeti - Ionisation, plus Penderecki with Don Cherry - Actions) ---all from my shameless Napster days
John Coltrane - Live In Japan
Old & In The Way - Breakdown

Old Dec 12, 2003, 02:24 PM
Poib

Quote:
Originally posted by zula

Iannis Xenakis - Persepolis (plus Varese/Penderecki/Ligeti - Ionisation, plus Penderecki with Don Cherry - Actions) ---all from my shameless Napster days
man, i love that stuff. its definately interesting listening to an orchestra play a convoluted and complex mathematical algorithm with Xennakis' works. i should get some more of his stuff again.

stuff im listening to today are:

Fantomas-selftitled album(good for fans of demented thrash)

Eric Dolphy-"Out To Lunch" God I love this album, it was my first introduction to free jazz. Let me tell you it surely squished my then feeble brain between its nasty fingertips.

John Zorn-Cobra.....geez, i just can't get enough of this guy.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 06:33 PM

Right now, I'm listening to Fuchsia/Red by The Brian Lynch Quartet, which I picked up last night at The Cellar. It's my first exposure to Brian Lynch and this is only the second time listening to it, so I'm not sure what I think of it yet. I am impressed by the calibre of playing on the CD -- everyone in the band is great.

On the way home this afternoon, in my car, I listened to another CD which I picked up at The Cellar last night -- Nights in Vancouver by The Ian McDougall Sextet. I've heard it only once, but loved it right away.

Also keeping me company on the drive home were two of my absolute favourites: Whisper Not by the Keith Jarrett Trio and 52nd Street Themes by the Joe Lovano Nonet.

Re: Art Pepper's Modern Art. Would love to hear that recording. I looked high and low for it a few years ago and found it at Sam's on Seymour, I think, but it was too expensive there so I didn't by it. Meanwhile, I bought several other Art Pepper recordings and figured I'd reached my quota, so I forgot about Modern Art. Sounds like it's a must-have...
Old Dec 16, 2003, 02:46 AM

Long time observer of this forum, first time poster..
All i wanted to say is that Bryan Lynch is amazing, i saw him both last year at the Cellar and went back again this year for his CD Release party and it blew my mind.. hes a really nice guy too, talked to him afterwards..just talked shop and stuff. Defintely should check him out next time he comes to town ..the whole band was awesome. .anyway, on to the list.

Lee Morgan - The Rumproller (i luv lee, but definetely not his best work, though i can listen to anything by him for hours...very post- Sidewinder ..)
John Coltrane- Live at the Village Vanguard ( quite intense ..live music at its finest)
Miles Davis - The Sorcerer ( Wayne Shorter rips. .and the tunes seem to highlight his playing )
Do Make Say Think - & Yet & yet ( cool band from toronto with alot of different influences)
Cubanismo! featuring Alfredo Rodriguez on keys (theres too many good things to say about this group ..almost finished track #7 transcription too ..man, Jesus Alemany is insane!)

thats what i listened to today ..who knows what tommorow will bring..thanks for takin a look guys
Old Dec 17, 2003, 09:22 PM

this weeks three stars for me are:
Slim Harpo-best of
Slayer-live undead
Elvin Jones-Live at the Light House

All on LP

Poib......word up on the Cryptopsy....Makes me wanna drink Cinqant
Old Dec 18, 2003, 06:06 PM
Poib

"Slayer-live undead "

hahaha!!! how THAT'S oldschool.

has anyone here listened to Mr. Bungle's "Disco Volante" album??
That has some interesting jazzy bits on it, as well as pop, metal, funk, circus music, random dissonance, minimalist, sci-fi soundtrack, samples, sound effects, distortion walls, and more.
Old Jan 1, 2004, 12:57 PM

Miles' Complete In A Silent Way Sessions, for the past 3-4 days on continous play, pretty much. Great music to live with!

Old Jan 2, 2004, 06:34 PM

Miles' The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions...b-day present to self...frivolous? maybe... not for this guy...absolutely killer!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: