Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Vancouver Jazz History
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:04 AM

Question Skywalk

Can anyone (band members, maybe) direct me to a website or other resource where I can find out some history about Skywalk? I "Googled" the band, but couldn't find anything other than discography.

I still remember the thrill of hearing the Silent Witness album played about 20 years ago at the Commodore while a couple of friends and I waited for Al Stewart to come on stage. I think that was the first time I ever heard Naima; I didn't know John Coltrane wrote it, or even who John Coltrane was. I just thought it was a cool song. For whatever reason, two other tunes from that album, Silent Witness and First Snow, just made me think "B.C. west coast" every time I heard them. BCTV used First Snow as music behind an images of B.C. filler they used to air occasionally late at night or early in the morning.

Anyway, I know the band went through some personnel changes over the years, but I'd like to know stuff like how and when it was formed, and just how commercially successful the band became. I think I remember hearing Silent Witness, at least, did well on the jazz/fusion charts in the U.S.

Also, have any other Vancouver jazz or jazz fusion bands hit the big time, commercially, other than Skywalk and Metalwood?
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Canadian Encyclopedia
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:22 AM

I saw them play at the Jazzfest this year. Great show, great band! I went back and listened one of the albums from the 80's (or early 90's... I forget which one) and I prefered the sound now. The 80's sounded.... well.... like the 80's!
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:28 AM

Re: Canadian Encyclopedia. Perfect. Thanks, Brian.

I'd like to hear what Skywalk sounds like now. Maybe next jazz festival.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:44 AM
Administrator

I believe the current lineup (at least when they played last year's festival) is Rene Worst bass, Tom Keenlyside reeds, Jim McGillveray percussion, Miles Black piano, Don Powrie drums.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 03:24 PM

Those of us who went to Cap circa '79 remember many great nights down at the Joint watching the "original" Skywalk lineup with Tom, Rene, Jim, Ihor Kukurudza on guitar, Lou Hoover on Drums and Graeme Coleman on Keyboards (and principal composer). Great tunes (anybody remember "Two Dogs Fucking"?;-). Rough and ready. Fusion got smoother over the years and so did they, but I won't forget the great jams they got into down there (with Tom being careful to duck under the occasional 'helicopter dancer' while he soloed ;-).

Al
Old Nov 13, 2003, 03:37 PM

Thinking of Graeme Coleman also reminded me of the great Dave Pickell. These guys could inspire their own thread "Vancouver's Greatest Lost (to live performance) Keyboard Players". Damn that 80's studio/scoring scene...

Al
Old Nov 13, 2003, 06:20 PM

When I saw them play at the fest (at least at the backstage lounge) it was Bill Sample on keys.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 08:49 PM

Pacific Salt

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Pacific Salt. They used to really cook, especially when P.J. was on the band.

I think the lineup was George Ursan, drums, Ian Mcdougal trombone, Oliver Gannon, guitar....was it Tony Clitheroe on bass? The trumpet player was Don...used to live in the same building as Fraser Mcpherson.

Somebody help me out.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 10:27 PM

Donny Clark? Check out the Musicians listing on this site under Oliver Gannon for a (partial) listing of Pacific Salt.

Pacific Salt : Don Clark (tp) Ian McDougall (tb) Ron Johnston (el-p) Oliver Gannon (g) Tony Clitheroe (el-b) George Ursan (d)

Don Clark (flhrn) Ian McDougall (tb) Ron Johnston (el-p) Oliver Gannon (g) Tony Clitheroe (el-b) George Ursan (d)

Don Clark (tp) Ian McDougall (tb) P.J. Perry (ts) Ron Johnston (p) Oliver Gannon (g) Tony Clitheroe (el-b) George Ursan (d)

Don Clark (tp) Ian McDougall (tb) P.J. Perry (ts) Ron Johnston (p) Oliver Gannon (g) Tony Clitheroe (el-b) George Ursan (d)

Don Clark (tp) P.J. Perry (ts) Ron Johnston (keyboards) Oliver Gannon (g) Tony Clitheroe (el-b) George Ursan (d)

I'd love for some of this stuff on CD... I doubt it will ever come out.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 01:00 PM

Salt

The last time I heard the band live the musicians where Don Clark, Jack Stafford, Ian McDougall, Ron Johnson, Torben Oxbol and George Ursan. Everyone had beards except Torben, who looked pretty much exactly the same then as he does today. PJ was no longer involved. I have some old CBC recordings of that group where they where doing some pretty wild things - 3 basses ect..

There's a brand new recording that's just come out of previously unreleased material of the band I just mentioned.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:51 PM

Skywalk ....

Hurrah SKYWALK ... love 'em all to pieces ... oh yeah, the 80's ...

God ... I miss 'em all too! History ... keep the stories and memries alive dammit!
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:19 AM

skywalk lives!

Skywalk will be at the Yale, Feb.23 7-9 pm. Bill Sample will be at the keys!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: