Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:14 PM

Jim Dandy

There's a new interview up with James Danderfer somewhere on the site. Oh, wait a second, here it is: http://vancouverjazz.com/inview/danderfer.shtml
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Thanks for doing this, Guy. James is not only a great player, he's a bright guy, and a thinker - and you're one hip interviewer - and you're both funny as hell . . . all of which makes for great reading.

Speaking of "Jim Dandy", I would like to set the record straight here and now. When I first met James, back in the mid-forties I think it was - I called him Jim Dandy, just because James Dan....etc took too long to say and time was precious back then. He was giving me a ride home at the time. He said, "Jim What???" I said "Jim Dandy . . . never heard of Jim Dandy?" And I proceeded to duplicate Laverne Baker's rendition of that classic, every damn word of it (including the backup vocals) all the way to the West End.

Years later everybody (a couple of people, anyway) was calling him that (it just makes sense) but Jim refuses to acknowledge that it was me that came up with it first. As usual.

Thank you.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:13 AM

Gimme a pigfoot and a corned beef on rye ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation View Post
Speaking of "Jim Dandy", I would like to set the record straight here and now. When I first met James, back in the mid-forties I think it was - I called him Jim Dandy, just because James Dan....etc took too long to say and time was precious back then. He was giving me a ride home at the time. He said, "Jim What???" I said "Jim Dandy . . . never heard of Jim Dandy?" And I proceeded to duplicate Laverne Baker's rendition of that classic, every damn word of it (including the backup vocals) all the way to the West End.
Brian Nation does the Laverne Baker Songbook? Sounds like an SRO night at the Cellar to me!

Thanks for the great interview Guy! .. N
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:04 PM

"..I dated your big sister, and took her to a show. I went out for some candy, along came Jim Dandy and they snuck right out the door..."
-Little Sister

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: