Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Jazz on the Air
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:13 PM

A-Trane February 2009

A-Trane Playlist February 6th 2009

No. Song title * Artist : Recording * Label * Instrumental * [MAPL]

1 Take the A-Train * Duke Ellington/Ray Nance : Private Collection Vol. 2: Dance Concerts Cal. 1958 * WEA * No * [----]

2 Miles Mode * John Coltrane : Complete Village Vanguard 1961 * Impulse * yes * [----]
3 Garrisons Raiders * Tony Scott/Jimmy Garrison : At Last * 32 Records * yes * [----]

4 Pour Jimmy * Francois Houle : aerials * drip audio * yes * [MAP-]
5 Chirpin' Time * Jimmy Giuffre : Tangents in Jazz * Membran * yes * [----]
6 Moment Final * Francois Houle/Joelle Leandre/Raymond Strid : 9 Moments * Red Toucan * yes * [MAP-]

7 Northline * Jon Hassell : last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street * ECM * yes * [----]
8 Wind & Shadows * Dhafer Youssef : Divine Shadows * Jazzland * yes * [----]
9 Blue Period * Jon Hassell : last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street * ECM * yes * [----]

10 Hot House * Ernie Watts : To The Point * Flying Dolphin * yes * [----]
11 Season of Change * Ernie Watts : To The Point * Flying Dolphin * yes * [----]

12 Infant Eyes * SF Jazz Collective : Live 2008: Music of Wayne Shorter* * SFJC * yes * [----]
13 When Will The Blues Leave * SF Jazz Collective : Live 2004: Music of Ornette Coleman * Nonesuch * yes * [----]

14 I am the Walrus * Tony Wilson 6tet : Pearls Before Swine * drip audio * yes * [MAP-]
15 Enigma of a Gumboot * Peggy Lee/Dylan Van Der Schyff : These Are Our Shoes * Spool * yes * [MAP-]
16 Chiasma * The Thing/Matts Gustaffson : Jazz from Norway 2008 * advance sampler * yes * [----]
17 Pour Sidney * Francois Houle : aerials * drip audio * yes * [MAP-]

18 You Really Shouldn't But ../Well You Needn't * Fern Lindzon : Moments Like These * iatros * No * [MAPL]
19 Moments Like These/Stolen Moments * Fern Lindzon : Moments Like These * iatros * No * [MAPL]
20 Comes Love * Sheila Jordan : Winter Sunshine * Justin Time * No * [M-P-]
21 The Only One (For Sheila Jordan) * Jane Bunnett/Kellylee Evans : Embracing Voices * Blue Notes * No * [MAPL]

22 Some People Are Crazy * John Martyn : Grace And Danger * Island * No * [----]

23 Reaching Up * Ernie Watts : To The Point * Flying Dolphin * yes * [----]

Catching up a bit, with so many live concerts coming up in Vancouver, there was little time for anything other than previews although I'd been meaning to find a place for the live Tony Scott recording with Jimmy Garrison for a while. Good intro to performers for this years Time Flies Festival of Improvised Music and the ICE HOCKEY: CANADA VS SWEDEN (AN EXHIBITION GAME) Improviser's Festival (Houle [Captain - Canada], Lee, Van Der Schyff, Gustaffson [Captain - Sweden], Strid, Wilson etc.). Other upcoming performances include The San Francisco Jazz Collective (March 17th), Jane Bunnett (Winterruption Festival February 19th), Jon Hassell/Dhafer Youssef (Chan Centre February 14th), and Fern Lindzon (Cellar February 22nd).

Also featured the latest recording from Ernie Watts who played the Cellar last weekend with Brad Turner's trio (Brad featured on piano this week as opposed to playing trumpet with Joe Locke last week!). Although Watts has been to town a number of times with Charlie Haden's Quartet West and Les McCann/Cornell Dupree etc, this was the first time he was here featuring his own music and he really ripped it up. It helps that his latest release To The Point is a real barn-burner, the solo introduction to Hot House and the revisit to his own Reaching Up being a couple of highlights.

And a short nod to the passing of the late great John Martyn ... N
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Feb 20, 2009, 01:29 PM

Today's A-Trane show

Doing an interview with Fern Lindzon around 4 pm in advance of her show at the Cellar on Sunday night, and a whole bunch of winterruption and other upcoming musical events through the afternoon 2:30 to 5:30. ... N
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:42 PM

A-Trane Playlist February 13th 2009

A-Trane Playlist February 13th 2009

1 Take the A-Train * Anita O'Day : Sings the Winners * Verve * No * [----]

2 Blue Train * John Coltrane/Curtis Fuller : Blue Train * Blue Note * yes * [----]
3 Here's to my Lady * Curtis Fuller : The Opener * Blue Note * yes * [----]

4 Chemistry * Jon Hassell/Brian Eno : Fourth World Vol 1: Possible Musics * Editions EG * yes * [----]
5 Last Night the Moon Came * Jon Hassell : last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street * ECM * yes * [----]

6 My Funny Valentine * Miles Davis : Cookin * Prestige * yes * [----]
7 My Funny Valentine * Elvis Costello : Taking Liberties * Epic * No * [----]
8 Friday the Thirteenth * Thelonious Monk : The Thelonious Monk Orchestra at Town Hall * yes * [----]
9 My Funny Valentine * Chet Baker : Chet in Chicago * Enja * No * [----]

10 Guantanamo Blues Part 1 * Jane Bunnett : Radio Guantanamo * Blue Note * yes * [MAP-]
11 Loma de Chivo Part 2 * Jane Bunnett : Radio Guantanamo * Blue Note * yes * [MAP-]
12 Cirio * Francisco Mela : Cirio: Live at the Blue Note * Half Note * yes * [----]
13 Pa Gen Dlo * Jane Bunnett/Don Thompson/Grupo Vocal Desandann : Embracing Voices * Blue Note * No * [MAP-]

14 Someone's Been Sending Me Flowers * Blossom Dearie : Our Favorite Songs * Daffodil * No * [----]
15 I'm Hip * Blossom Dearie : At Ronnie Scott's * Emarcy * No * [----]
16 (There oughta be a) Moonlight Savings Time [instrumental] * Blossom Dearie : Jazz in Paris * Emarcy/Gitanes * yes * [----]
17 (There oughta be a) Moonlight Savings Time * Blossom Dearie : I'm Hip * Columbia * No * [----]
18 Bang Goes the Drum (and you're in love) * Blossom Dearie : Give Him the Ooh-La-La * Verve * No * [----]
19 Sweet Georgie Fame * Blossom Dearie : Sweet Blossom Dearie * Phillips * No * [----]
20 I've Got Your Number * Blossom Dearie : Sings Rootin' Songs * DIW * No * [----]
21 My Attorney Bernie * Blossom Dearie : Our Favorite Songs * Daffodil * No * [----]

22 Wind & Shadows * Dhafer Youssef : Divine Shadows * Jazzland * yes * [----]
23 I Thought About You * Fern Lindzon : Moments Like These * iatros * No * [MAP-]
24 Wait and See * Amanda Tosoff : Wait and See * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]
25 Ciants * Norma Winstone : Distances * ECM * No * [MAP-]

26 27th Ethos * Dhafer Youssef : Divine Shadows * Jazzland * yes * [----]
27 Baba Drame * Bill Frisell : History/Mystery * Nonesuch * yes * [----]

28 Northline * Jon Hassell : last night the moon came dropping its clothes in the street * ECM * yes * [----]

I'm really catching up this time, now that the crazy onslaught of February gigs has died down a little bit. This show was mainly handed over to upcoming gigs and events of the day. One of the days being Valentine's but Friday the 13th also tying in nicely to this month's 50th anniversary of Monk at Town Hall. Also pulled out some of my favorite performances by the late Blossom Dearie.

Upcoming shows (at that time) included Curtis Fuller, Fern Lindzon, Amanda Tosoff, Norma Winstone, Jane Bunnett with Francisco Mela, Bill Frisell, and (on Valentine's Day at the Chan Centre) the double bill of Dhafer Youssef and Jon Hassell.

Youssef and Hassell seem an odd pairing but they've both recorded for Norwegian labels (Jazzland and ECM respectively) and they've both recorded with guitarist Eivind Aarset. They both also set a mood and in their own ways, Youssef with his sufi background and Hassell with his influences from (other) world and carnatic music, produce what might be called trance music.

On Dhafer Youssef's last visit to Vancouver, he leaned more towards a world music ensemble - his oud combined with an eastern European string quartet and a tabla player. This was intended to be a decidedly jazzier outing with Tigran Hamasyan on piano, Scott Colley on bass and Satoshi Takeishi on drums. Unfortunately, any time the group's sound started to gel, the drummer kept destroying the mood with over-zealous bashing. Although the did a well-received long set (Hamasyan in particular set off a number of pieces with some simple but exquisite melodies), I found myself wishing that they had given the drummer the night off.

I've enjoyed Jon Hassell's music since hearing Earthquake Island and his collaborations with Brian Eno back in the 70s. He hadn't performed in Vancouver for over 20 years and I was keen to hear where the fourth world had taken him. My friend Richard remarked afterwards that the aesthetic (but not the music) reminded him of Kraftwerk, four men dressed similarly (all in black) standing at their stations seemingly operating in parallel. The set was performed as a suite seamlessly doing gradual transitions from one theme to another and it really was trance-inducing. (At one point, as the volume in one transition dropped slightly, some folks tried to applaud only to have Hassell hold up his hand to not break the mood.) Hassell has always acknowledged his debt to Miles Davis (Earthquake Island runs parallel to Bitches Brew) and much of the aesthetic of the evening was somewhere between In a Silent Way and that cliff at the end of Jack Johnson just before the voice comes in; at one point, he quoted and played with one of the themes from Jack Johnson. Of special mention was Kheir-Eddine M'Kachiche on violin, he didn't play much but periodically he would hold his violin up in front of him like a miniature cello and produce a bewildering flurry of notes that was hair-raising in the hypnotic wash of the setting.

Unfortunately, besides being sparsely attended, many concert-goers in the audience clearly did not appreciate the performance (probably not a good Valentine's date concert) and there was a constant stream of people getting up and leaving through the concert. The folks that stayed to the end obviously enjoyed it immensely and I count myself among them ... N
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:32 AM

A-Trane Playlist February 20th 2009

A-Trane Playlist February 20th 2009

1 Take the A Train * Louis Bellson w. the New York Saxophone Quartet : The Originals * Stash * yes * [----]

2 Moment's Notice * John Coltrane/Curtis Fuller : Blue Train * Blue Note * yes * [----]
3 Little Messenger * Curtis Fuller : Curtis Fuller * Blue Note * yes * [----]
4 Bang Bang * Curtis Fuller : Imagination * Savoy * yes * [----]

5 Fig Bun * Petr Cancura : Peoplemusic * RootsToBoot * yes * [MAP-]
6 Life Is a Dream * Petr Cancura : Peoplemusic * RootsToBoot * yes * [MAP-]
7 Fisch Tantz * Petr Cancura : Peoplemusic * RootsToBoot * yes * [MAP-]
8 Pod Nasima Okny (Beneath Our Windows) * Petr Cancura : Peoplemusic * RootsToBoot * No * [MAPL]
9 Jungle of Karifa * Petr Cancura : Peoplemusic * RootsToBoot * yes * [MAP-]

10 Stove Top * Amanda Tosoff : Wait and See * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]
11 Still Life * Amanda Tosoff : Still Life * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]
12 Re-entry * Amanda Tosoff : Wait and See * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

13 Children's Lullaby/Never Never Land * Fern Lindzon/Don Thompson : Moments Like These * iatros * No * [MAPL]
14 Re'i * Fern Lindzon/Don Thompson : Moments Like These * iatros * No * [MAPL]

15 Yidl Mitn Fidl * Sisters of Sheynville : Sheynville Express * SoS * No * [MAPL]

16 On the Street Where You Live * Fern Lindzon/George Koller : Moments Like These * iatros * No * [MAPL]
17 (To See Through) Infant Eyes/Never Never Land * Fern Lindzon/Reg Schwager : Moments Like These * iatros * No * [MAPL]
18 Dancing Sunbeam * Jodi Proznick : Foundations * Cellar Live * yes * [MAP-]

19 Bienvenue/Acetaminophene * L'Orkestre des Pas Perdus : Maison Douce Maison * Ambiences Magnetique * yes * [MAP-]
20 Hiboux * Les Projectionnistes : Copie Zero * Ambiences Magnetique * yes * [MAP-]
21 Deus Ex Machina * L'Orkestre des Pas Perdus : Projet 9 * Ambiences Magnetique * yes * [MAP-]

22 Everytime We Say Goodbye * Norma Winstone : Distances * ECM * No * [----]
23 Sea Lady * Norma Winstone : Somewhere Called Home * ECM * No * [----]
24 Here Comes the Flood * Norma Winstone : Distances * ECM * No * [----]

25 Blues Walk * Lou Donaldson : Blues Walk * Blue Note * yes * [----]

Wondering if I'll ever catch up, this show was mainly handed over to upcoming shows (at that time) but started with the theme by the late Louis Bellson. Short nods to Curtis Fuller at Cap and Lou Donaldson at the Cellar.

A number of artists from Winterruption this year - Petr Cancura, Amanda Tosoff, Jodi Proznick, Les Projectionnistes, et L'Orkestre des Pas Perdus. And of course, Norma Winstone who brought the trio which accompanied her on the recent ECM recording Distances to a packed house at Performance Works. Glauco Venier on piano and Klaus Gesing on reeds (but principally bass clarinet) lent perfect chamber music accompaniment to Winstone's floating vocals very much in the ECM aesthetic. Norma Winstone singing standards is like no-one else, the words hang in the air shimmering like the northern lights - particularly the musical settings of poetry arranged by pianist Venier, texts by James Joyce and Pier Paolo Pasilini. She also paid tribute to her erstwhile Azimuth (pseudo-Canadian) compatriate Kenny Wheeler with her presentation of his composition "Everybody's Song but My Own."

Also featured an interview with Fern Lindzon making her Vancouver debut at the Cellar (with Jodi Proznick and Jesse Cahill) and at the Chutzpah Festival (with the Sisters of Sheynville). We touched on a number of topics, working together (but separately!) with Don Thompson, George Koller and Reg Schwager, kibbutzim, the background of the Hebrew song Re'i taken from a mixed Israeli/Arabic group called Sheva, scrabble, expression and articulation, and getting her lyrics to Infant Eyes approved by original composer Wayne Shorter. Her evening at the Cellar deserved to be much better attended but happened on the Sunday of a very busy weekend against the competition of the Oscars. Nonetheless a wonderful evening of music as promised by the quality of the cd with even more surprises, like a vocalese interpretation of Freddie the Freeloader unlike anything on the recording. Here's hoping she comes back soon ... N
Old Mar 30, 2009, 11:23 PM

A-Trane Playlist February 27th 2009

A-Trane Playlist February 27th 2009

1 Take the A-Train * Duke Ellington/Louis Bellson : Hi-Fi Ellington Uptown * Columbia * yes * [----]

2 All Blues/The Theme * Miles Davis/John Coltrane : Stockholm 1960 Complete * Dragon * yes * [----]
3 All Blues * Mike Zilber/Steve Smith : Reimagine Vol. 1: Jazz Standards * Bluejay * yes * [MAP-]
4 Two Coasts * Mike Zilber/Steve Smith : Two Coasts * IGMOD * yes * [MAP-]

5 Skin Deep * Duke Ellington/Louis Bellson : Hi-Fi Ellington Uptown * Columbia * yes * [----]
6 Elling-Stray Lament * Louis Bellson : The Originals * Stash * yes * [----]
7 With Bells On * Louis Bellson's Big Band Explosion : The Art of the Chart * Concord * yes * [----]
8 Raincheck * Louis Bellson : Raincheck * Concord * yes * [----]

9 Mandela * Russell Malone : Playground * MaxJazz * yes * [----]
10 Mugshot * Russell Malone : Sweet Georgia Peach * MaxJazz * yes * [----]
11 Playground * Russell Malone : Playground * MaxJazz * yes * [----]

12 No * Chad Makela : No * Pagetown * yes * [MAP-]
13 Family * Kelly Rossum : Family * 612 Sides * yes * [----]
14 I One Won * ESQ : Casual Coordinates * ESQ * yes * [MAP-]

15 Sevilla * Steve Elson : Mott & Broome * Lips and Fingers * yes * [----]
16 Dance of the Falcon * Ivo Papasov : Dance of the Falcon * World Village * yes * [----]
17 Seraphim * Orbert Davis & Chicago Jazz Philharmonic w. Nicolle Mitchell : Collective Creativity * 3Sixteen Records * yes * [----]

18 Darn That Dream * Seamus Blake : Live in Italy * Jazz Eyes * yes * [MAP-]

19 Time Like the Present * Joe Locke : Sticks & Strings * Jazz Eyes * yes * [----]
20 Sugar Buzz * Russell Malone/Joe Locke : Playground * MaxJazz * yes * [----]
21 Take it to the Ozone * Thomas Marriott/Joe Locke : Flexicon * Origin * yes * [----]

22 Yes and No * San Francisco Jazz Collective : Live 2008: Music of Wayne Shorter * SFJC * yes * [----]
23 Tango Nuevo * Quartet San Francisco : latigo * ViolinJazz * yes * [----]

24 Juliet of the Spirits * Bill Frisell : Amarcord Nino Rota * Hannibal * yes * [----]
25 Sixty Dollar Train * Brandi Disterheft : Debut * Superfran * yes * [MAP-]

Finishing up the February listings, post Winterruption given over to a Louis Bellson tribute, new releases and upcoming concerts. New releases with upcoming concerts include discs from Chad Makela and the East Side Quintet (ESQ). Recently picked up two excellent discs on the Italian Jazz Eyes label, a live double from Seamus Blake and Sticks and Strings from Joe Locke. Used the latter to launch a set from the ubiquitous vibist who gave such a killer show with Ugetsu at the Cellar in January. Some spectacular clarinet playing from both Steve Elson and Ivo Papasov in recent issues. And the San Francisco Jazz Collective (in advance of their March performance) paired with the San Francisco String Quartet doing Piazzolla.

Mike Zilber was recording that weekend at the Cellar, Brandi Disterheft was appearing at the Cellar later in the week and Bill Frisell and Russell Malone in duet that night at Christ Church Cathedral.

The last time Frisell came to Christ Church was in a duet with another guitarist Greg Leisz (see http://vancouverjazz.com/2007/02/bil...-leisz-at.html) but this was a decidedly different affair. I have to admit I came away with a renewed admiration for Russell Malone; I was familiar with his sideman work with folks like Diana Krall and Ray Brown and the Jim Hall-inflected recording Sweet Georgia Peach but I didn't really have an appreciation for what a compleat guitarist he actually is.

The concert started with an exploration of Stella by Starlight and the repertoire proceeded with an emphasis on 60s pop tunes. Playing through the Delfonics La la Means I Love You, Stormy, Sam Cooke's Honest I Do (the encore), Wes Montgomery's Road Song, and two of the thorniest compositions in the Monk book Eronel and Four In One. Frisell built up his solo feature feature in layers and riffs, something like watching a painter put down seemingly random brush strokes until suddenly the picture comes into view - Burt Bacharach's What the World Needs Now.

Through it all Malone effortlessly moved through styles at will, Chet Atkins fingerpicking, smooth George Benson leads, Wes Montgomery octaves, Joe Pass chord comping throwing in fun quotes with everything from Smoke on the Water to Last Train to Clarksville. At one point he (seemingly) spontaneously launched into Elizabeth Cotten's Freight Train and good-naturedly challenged Frisell to keep up. After a while, Frisell just stopped playing and sat back enjoying the show with everybody else.

I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I first heard about the pairing but the result was quite spectacular. Besides the new-found admiration for Malone's skills, I also admire Frisell for putting himself in a challenging setting that really let some creative sparks fly! Here's hoping a recording comes out of it ... N

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: