Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Passages
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:38 PM

"Dido" Morris

I just picked up the sad news from Graham Ord on Facebook that hand drummer Mandido Morris has passed away. Dido did as much as anyone in this town to create the Afro-tinged jazz/rock in the 70's and 80's that led to the fostering of "World Music" in Vancouver. Dozens of our local musicians, myself included, cut their musical teeth in such groups as "Dido and Hand People". I'm sure there are plenty of Dido stories kicking around. I hope a bio comes up for him soon. I know he grew up in Watts, and moved to Montreal at some point. Before he moved to Vancouver, he toured and recorded with Gino Vanelli, among others.

He was a very special man.

RIP, my friend.

Al

Here is the Facebook posting, which originates from Dido's close friend, Mahara Brenna:

Dear friends,

Our beloved Dido has passed over. His son Kemal found him in his home.

I wanted those of you to know right away, so you can hold him in the Light and send your love to him at this first opportunity.
Beloved Dido, Dr. Drum, Mandido, Cleopus Mopedido Morris has meant so much to many of us, and certainly this world will
not be the same without him. As the father of African drumming in Vancouver, he shared his vast Spirit and beautiful soul with many.

I will of course let you know as soon as I know the plans for a service.
On wings of Love,
Mahara
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:23 AM

dido was a beautiful person that i was fortunate to play with numerous times.. i remember first playing with him in my early 20's down at gambados in gaston - ken capons studio that had a mix of art display in the front with dance/music studio in the back... their was a group of us - coat cook, steve nikleva, chris nelson or clyde reed and a few others.. as a drummer it was probably my first time playing with a percussionist and i always enjoyed playing with him a lot.. then i got involved later with dido and the hand people for a time at the soft rock cafe and found that really musically rewarding as well... i am sorry to hear he is gone.. he will be missed by those who knew him.. thanks for the note al...
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

DIDO's sons, Kemal and Jiva, invite you to his Wake
A Tribute to the Life and Times of Baba Mandido Morris

Greek Hellenic Community Centre
4500 Arbutus Street, Vancouver
(at 31st Avenue ... parking in rear)

Service: Saturday, January 24th at 3:00pm

Following the Service, Kemal will be performing in honour of his father.

A huge community drum circle will dance us into the evening.... bring your drum!

FOOD: Please bring your favourite Soulfood; Appetizers, Main Courses and Desserts !

FLOWERS: Anyone who would like to contribute flowers, kindly contact Mahara at 604 221-0787 so we can decorate the hall with them.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:37 AM

Love of life...

I am so sorry to hear that Dido has passed away... He was a great friend and teacher... In the many years I have known Dido, he taught me, not only to play and to listen, but to live and to love... I will never forget the things he did for me... the unconditional love... all the laughs... the support... and the peace he brought me whenever he was near... all the goodness he sent out for me, when he was far...

Dido loved life more than anyone I have ever known... His days were always full... He spent each minute discovering the world, beauty, and joy... Whether it was through music, rummaging through his basement, or combing the dollar store for small treasures... He found joy and beauty in the smallest things... He took time to laugh and pray each day... He always gave more than he received, because giving made him happy...

I remember the first time I celebrated a birthday with him... When I arrived at his house, he had been busy blowing up balloons, purple ones...apparently all day... He had also gone to great length to wrap all the gifts meticulously... Leaving a trail of paper, ribbons, scotch tape through his house... Everything Dido did, he did whole heartedly... and I only hope that for the rest of my life I can remember the lessons he taught me... and that I can find the courage to live by them...

Love in all ways D., Nancy
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:12 PM

Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:44 PM

Mandido Morris (Govind)

I'm going to miss you big guy. An old friend, my drum teacher. A True Soul Man. Always a hug and a big smile. Your presence in the world was felt and will be missed.
Mu, Edmonton.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 01:15 AM

Pied Piper of Percussion Dido

In the depth of this recent news my heart goes out to his sons and family, his friends for which he had many. Dido I befriended in 1981 when I landed in Vancouver B.C. Kitsilano, also with origins in the USA. We bonded instantly upon meeting. He would frequent the Lifestream Natural Foods Store where I was working. Our main central connection was that we were there, each from the pacific n.w.coastal region. Over the years, intermittent, frequent encounters on 4th avenue, passing by, always hugging. He had a charismatic air about him. I felt as though I had known him for centuries if there is such an expression.

This man became the centrafusion and catalyst for many a friendships, friends of his, apprentices of his as he gave everyone who was open to be invited, a standing invitation to come and drum or view the drumming at the soft rock cafe. Were those ever the days. The birth of the Hand People. He was the Producer, Director and Manager of the communities people who wanted the excuse to come together dancing and enjoying the drumming, at local venues, Jericho Beach, and more. The venues were endless. Many of us enjoy continued friendships and bonds to this day because of Dido' Dance and Drum workshops.
Ohm my!! what news this is. Life is so short. How did I manage to miss this event. His passing. I was there at the gathering in spirit harboring within my dear friends who were present who knew I was missing. Here in Seattle, the evening of his wake, I discovered his passing. Dido you are fondly remembered by all of us. Much love...