Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:09 AM

Three Wishes: An Intimate Look at Jazz Greats

I received a copy of the book "Three Wishes" for Christmas, and I highly recommend it. Compiled and photographed by Pannonica de Koenigswarter, it contains many candid polaroid shots from Nica's private collection. Any serious student of our music knows who Nica was, but perhaps wouldn't know she had a personal project where she asked 300 of her jazz friends what their three wishes in life would be. Many of the wishes run along the lines of "Peace, Love and Prosperity", and many have wishes, like Jimmy Garrison, "To be able to play this fellow". Other answers run from the surprising (Miles Davis: "To be white") to the outrageous (David "Fathead" Newman: "To get high...right now. Tell you the rest tomorrow.") to the downright hilarious (Al Haig, via telephone: "Coitus! Hurry over to the Algonquin and I'll tell you what two and three are!").

A nice addition to your jazz book collection...

$21.95, at Chapters/Indigo

Al
Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:16 AM

The best thing in my stocking this year is a collection of Miles Davis interviews my Dad got me... "Miles on Miles." Its outrageous... everybody must get it.

"I know how they could clear up this Vietnam War shit. Get a bunch of bitches in the army... white ones, with blue eyes and big tits and send them over there. The next day when they read over here in the papers that a hundred of them died, the whole thing will be over with."

In all seriousness though, the man was an utter genius to the core and reading his words is all kinds of fascinating and awesome.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:06 PM
outcast

Send a message via AIM to LAZZ Send a message via Yahoo to LAZZ
Hey Al.

Just been reading about this book in a bit of Guardian advance preview flak from the lovely Richard Williams (my favourite UK jazz writer) for an upcoming BBCTV broadcast of "The Jazz Baroness", a new 75-minute documentary made by Nica's great-niece Hannah Rothschild.

The film is to be shown as part of the "Storyville" series on some unspecified date in 2009 - which I guess must be fairly soon or why publicise it now. The series web-site seems in need of a little up-dating and makes no mention of the film - but they do say that you would be able to catch it on the BBC iPlayer up to a week after whenever it does get broadcast.

Maybe worth keeping an eye on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: