Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Dec 1, 2008, 02:33 PM

Vancouver Jazz Education Network

I'm starting this thread in response to the dicussion around Cory Weed's thread about the lack of turnout at the recent clinic at the Cellar.
What I am suggesting is the founding of a Vancouver Jazz Education Network (for lack of a better name...).

The purposes of this group/network/coalition would be:

1. to make music students, jazz fans or other interested parties aware of jazz education events (clinics, workshops, masterclasses, camps, seminars etc) happening in the Metro Vancouver area. Should it be province wide??

2. to actively encourage students of all ages to attend these events and help them undersand the value of such events. This means more than emails and facebook pages. I am talking about face to face communication with students and their parents.

3. to support others in the network in tangible and practical ways in their efforts to create successful jazz education events

4. facilitate or create opportunities for local or 'out of town' musicians to teach in situations such as those in item 1. In other words if an artist if coming through town and is looking for an opportunity to teach, we would try and hook them up with someone who was interested. Same for local teacher/players.

5. what else??

A few other things that seem important:

1. The network would comprise individuals (and possibly institutions) attending or creating education events. I am thinking primarily of high school, college and university teachers, as well as educators with private studios and those working at community-based schools.

2. The network would not be a jazz calendar or gig listing for concerts and club dates. Vancouverjazz is already doing this and there would be too many lisitings to make anniuncements from the network effective. Our purpose would be to only deal with events where education was the primary activity.

3. the network would make use of a wide variety of media to contact interested parties. Facebook, myspace, email lists, forums, phone tree lists, snail mail etc. As handy as these forms of media are, I think it more important that network members would contact students within their sphere of influence directly and in person in addition to sending out info by means of these other resources.

4. The network would not foster competition among producers of events. Members of the network would agree to support events created by others in the network regardless of commercial interests. In other words, if Cory and I have an event happening on the same day, we both agree to help publicize the other's event. Ideally a good network would eliminate some scheduling conflicts and minimize competition for the same audience at the same time.

5. 'membership' (if any would be required?) in the network would be conditional upon participation. If you want the benefits, you have to participate. How would we monitor this? I don't know.

6. what else??

This is just a rough bunch of ideas. Lets have input from forum users. I am going to forward this idea to people I think would be interested.
If there is interest from enough people, I think a real-life meeting should take place where ideas could be freely aired and a plan drafted.

What does everyone think?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 03:08 PM

Make it also available for young arrangers to distribute their arrangements to High School, College, and even professional groups.

This is also an opportunity to address the "Jazz Society" problem all over Canada. The movement is mostly led by narcissistic parents duking it out for their kids to be famous "jazz musicians" and High school band teachers who don't have enough funding and therefore get the money from parents.

The truth about this Jazz Ed network proposed above is that it will need money to exist. Money that the musicians don't have.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 05:17 PM

Shonwise, the 'truth' is that money is not required.
I have three jobs already. I'm not looking to make any money from this idea and I'm not interested in asking people (least of all musicians) to contribute any. A willingness to work together for mutual interests is all that is required here.

I have no interest in recreating the IAJE or creating a 'service' for people to utilize. My idea is to stay local in focus and cooperative in nature: many heads are better than one, united we stand, strength in numbers etc...
No money involved. Just people with a common interest working together.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 09:08 PM

This sounds like a great idea, Jared. A meeting would definitely be a good place to start and I'm on board for helping out.

I really like the idea of hooking up students with private teachers. I found that lessons with local players and with players from out of town really fuelled my enthusiasm and made me want to get out and go to clinics, concerts, and jazz festivals.

In terms of membership, getting high schools and band directors involved is a good start, and the emphasis on meeting with them face-to-face regularly would go a long way. Most high school students tend to ignore when clinic info is posted on the walls at school, so speaking in person with classes and band directors would perhaps provide more encouragement and information to the students. Also professional players and private teachers could take part. College/university faculty could promote these things very easily to their students.

In my opinion, the project should cover both Metro Vancouver as well as Vancouver Island - I know there are plenty of serious jazz students, players, and schools there.

-cm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: