Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Jazz on the Air
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:59 PM

A-Trane April 2008

A-Trane Playlist April 4th, 2008

No. Song title * Artist : Recording * Label * Instr. * [MAPL]

1 Take the A-Train/Flying Saucer Rock n Roll * Duke Ellington/Robert Gordon : Soul Call/Too Fast to Live…Too Young to Die * Mashup * No * [----]

2 Love for Sale * Miles Davis/John Coltrane : Miles &*Trane Box * Sony/Columbia * Yes * [----]

3 Purple Haze/Sunshine of your Love * Frank Zappa : The Best Band You Never Heard * Ryko * No * [----]
4 Voodoo Child * Robert Dick : Third Stone From the Sun * New World/CounterCurrents * Yes * [----]
5 Stairway to Heaven * Frank Zappa : The Best Band You Never Heard * Ryko * No * [----]

6 All About My Girl * Jimmy McGriff : Blue n Funky * Blue Note * Yes * [----]
7 Don't You Make Me High * Marline Johnson : Copulatin' Blues * Stash * No * [----]
8 Feel Like Making Love * Marlena Shaw : Blue ‘n Soul * Blue Note * No * [----]
9 Hold On, I'm Comin' * Reuben Wilson : Lost Grooves * Blue Note * Yes * [----]

10 Makin' Whoopee * Art Tatum : Complete Capitol Recordings * Capitol * Yes * [----]
11 When they get lovin', they's gone * Jelly Roll Morton : Sidewalk Blues * Quadromania * No * [----]
12 Kickin' the Gong Around * Cab Calloway & his Cotton Club Orchestra : Viper Mad Blues * Stash * No * [----]
13 Dope Head Blues * Victoria Spivey/Lonnie Johnson : When Hemp was Hip * Stash * No * [----]
14 Cocaine Habit Blues * Memphis Jug Band : When Hemp was Hip * Stash * No * [----]

15 Slap & Tickle * Now Orchestra : Unreleased * demo * Yes * [MAP-]

16 House of the Risin' Sun * Sex Mob : Din of Inequity * Columbia * Yes * [----]
17 Angel Dust * Gil Scott-Heron w. Red Holloway : Tales of * East Side Digital * No * [----]
18 Home is where the Hatred Is * Esther Phillips : Harlem Session * Union Square * No * [----]

19 Come Sunday * Seattle Jazz Rep. Orch. Featuring Dee Daniels : Sacred Music of Duke Ellington * Origin * No * [MAP-]

20 That's No Way to Get Along * Rev. Robert Wilkins : ?? * ?? * No * [----]
21 Prodigal Son * Rolling Stones : Beggars Banquet * Abkco * No * [----]
22 Married Man Blues * Blind Joe Reynolds : Mississippi Moaners * Yazoo * No * [----]
23 Outside Woman Blues * Cream : Disraeli Gears * RSO/Polydor * No * [----]

24 Phalaborwa * Johannes Mohlala & His Harp : Phalaborwa Ka Moshate * Gallo Archives/Motella * No * [----]
25 Maggot Brain * Funkadelic : Maggot Brain * Wesbound * No * [----]
26 One Nation under a Groove * Funkadelic : One Nation Under a Groove * Wesbound * No * [----]

27 Iron Man * Bad Plus : ?? * Columbia * Yes * [----]
28 Sip n' Fly * Ntemi Piliso & The Alexander All Stars : Bra Ntemi at Teal 1976 * Gallo Archives/Soul Soul * Yes * [----]
29 Umbudo - Kwa Trek * Ntemi Piliso & The Alexander All Stars : Bra Ntemi at Teal 1976 * Gallo Archives/Soul Soul * Yes * [----]

30 I'm So Glad * Skip James : Hard Time Killin' Floor * Yazoo * Yes * [----]
31 I'm So Glad * Cream : Fresh Cream * SRO/Polydor * Yes * [----]

32 Stimela * Hugh Masekela : Live at the Market Theater * Times Square * No * [----]

I haven't posted the last show from March yet (coming soon) but I wanted to get last Friday's show up, it was the first show of the spring fundraising marathon and we did the Trane to Train special again - from the A-Trane at 3 past Crossroads (the country blues show) past In the Claddagh Ring through to the Gospel Train ending at 9:30 .... pheewwwwww. We raised over a thousand dollars in 6 and a half hours.

The fundraising theme this time round is Sex Drugs & Rock and Roll and we tried to mix it up and have some fun. I couldn't find a rock n roll version of take the a train so I made one by mashing Robert Gordon (with Danny Gatton!) into the Ellington Orchestra.

So the playlist above is a smattering of some of the stuff I contributed over the course of the show, lots of fun! Had a bunch of visitors including Franco who came down to hang out and Coat Cooke who dropped by with a New Orchestra workshop demo and talked about the NOW show with Nicolle Mitchell next Friday. Even snuck in some Dee Daniels in advance of her show at Cap College in a couple of weeks.

This coming Friday I'm doing a (solo) fundraising show and I thought I'd do something a little different. Over the last few years, I've tapped into a tape trading community and periodically pepper the show with unreleased gems; I've occasionally made copies of things for folks if they ask nicely.

This Friday, I'll try to do all unreleased recordings and, as an incentive for people to sign up, I'll make a copy of any single recording for anyone who signs up as a member of the station.

Currently I'm planning to include rarities like:

John Coltrane & Stan Getz recorded at a European Newport Tour
Lambert Hendricks & Ross recorded in Germany in 1960
Roland Kirk with Andrew Hill at Newport
Lenny Breau and Danny Gatton
Thelonious Monk with Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers 2 CDs of out-takes from the Atlantic sessions
Abdullah Ibrahim/Don Cherry/Carlos Ward
Giorgio Gaslini tribute to John Coltrane
Don Byron tribute to Henry Mancini and Sly Stone
John Zorn - Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet Live
John Zorn - Big Gundown live in Italy
Return to Forever/Headhunters Soundstage DVD
Mingus with Roland Kirk and Yusef Lateef at Birdland
some Miles but I don't know what yet ...

I'm open to requests and suggestions - don't be afraid to ask, I've got lots!
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:35 PM

Nou, the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet live wouldn't happen to be that tape of their night in Vancouver in maybe 1990 when Ray Anderson sat in with them, by any chance....?
BM
Old Apr 12, 2008, 04:46 PM

with Oscar on piano!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Metcalfe View Post
Nou, the Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet live wouldn't happen to be that tape of their night in Vancouver in maybe 1990 when Ray Anderson sat in with them, by any chance....?
BM
It's not although I have a cassette of that too! I'll put up the whole playlist tonight if I get a chance, the most popular (not surprisingly) turned out to be Cotrane playing with Getz - why that's never had an official release, I don't know ... N
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:40 PM

A-Trane Playlist April 11th, 2008

A-Trane Playlist April 11th, 2008 - The Private Recordings Show

No. Song title * Artist : Recording * Label *

1 Take the A-Train * Chico Hamilton : Paris 1994 * private *

2 Ballad Medley * JATP All-Stars w, John Coltrane : Desseldorf, Germany, 1960 * private *
3 Rifftide * John Coltrane/Stan Getz : Desseldorf Germany, 1960 * private *

4 I Mean You * Thelonious Monk : Last Concert, NYC 1975 * private *
5 Well, You Needn't * Steve Lacy/Horace Tapscott : Live at the Western Front, Vancouver 1993 * private *
6 Misterioso * Paul Motian/Bill Frisell/Joe Lovano : Live in Amsterdam 1999 * private *

7 So What * Gildo Mahones Trio : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *
8 It's Sand Man * Lambert, Hendricks & Ross : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *
9 Rusty Dusty Blues * Lambert, Hendricks & Ross : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *

10 One O'clock Jump * Lambert, Hendricks & Ross : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *
11 Bijou * Lambert, Hendricks & Ross : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *
12 Swingin' til the Girls Come Home * Lambert, Hendricks & Ross : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *
13 Everyday * Lambert, Hendricks & Ross : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *
14 Cloudburst * Lambert, Hendricks & Ross : Live in Bremen 1962 * private *

15 Domino * Roland Kirk/Andrew Hill : Live at Newport*1962 * private *
16 Fat Man, Please Get Thin * Roland Kirk/Andrew Hill : Live at Newport*1962 * private *
17 Sleep Talking * Ornette Coleman 3 Bass Quintet : Live*in*Belgium*2007 * private *

18 Visions * Lenny Breau : Live at University of Maine in Orono, 1976 * Private *
19 Crawdad Suite * Jimmy Giuffre/Jim Hall/Bob Brookmeyer : Live at Cafe Bohemia, NYC 1958 * private *
20 4 on 6 * Wes Montgomery/Wynton Kelly : Live at the Half Note NYC 1965 * private *

21 Yesterdays * Andy Bey : Hamburg, Germany 2003 * private *

22 Sonny's Crib * Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet – John Zorn/Wayne Horvitz : Bremen, Germany 1988 * private *

Fundraising show where I offered (as an incentive) a copy of any of the 'private' recordings played on the show - a full cd from the same concert or session. Did quite well - most popular was the John Coltrane and Stan Getz together in 1960, followed by the Wes Montgomery but they're all great dates.

The offer stands, I'll make a copy of any of them (see the earlier list of shows too) for anyone who'd like to sign up as a member of the station. Drop me a line and let me know, or drop me a line for a request - I barely scratched the surface last week so I may do some more, with some recent release diversions this week ... N
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:43 PM

A-Trane Playlist April 18th, 2008

A-Trane Playlist April 18th, 2008 - The Semi-Private Recordings Show

1 Take the A-Train * Sun Ra : Solo piano at WKCR 1977 * private * No * [----]

2 So What * Miles Davis/John Coltrane : Miles LX 1: Copenhagen 1960 * private * No * [----]
3 Walkin' * Miles Davis/John Coltrane : Miles LX 4: Holland 1960 * private * No * [----]

4 Sonny's Crib * Sonny Clark Memorial Quartet: John Zorn/Wayne Horvitz : Bremen 1988 * private * No * [----]
5 Piram * Masada - John Zorn/Dave Douglas : NYC 1994 * private * No * [----]
6 Hank's Other Tune * News for Lulu – John Zorn/George Lewis/Bill Frisell : Austria 1987 * private * No * [----]

7 When Beauty Reigns * Melody Diachun : EQ * Cellar Live * No * [MAPL]
8 Lothario * Melody Diachun : EQ * Cellar Live * Yes * [MAPL]
9 Superstition * Stevie Wonder : Funkified Rainbow: London 1974 * private * Yes * [----]

10 Evidence Tk. 3 * Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers w. Thelonious Monk : Atlantic Outtakes * private * No * [----]
11 I Mean You Tk. 3 * Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers w. Thelonious Monk : Atlantic Outtakes * private * No * [----]
12 Wee (Allen's Alley) * Giants of Jazz : Budapest 1971 * private * No * [----]

13 Tell Me It's the Truth * Dee Daniels w. SRJO : Sacred Music of Duke Ellington * Origin * Yes * [----]
14 Come Sunday * Dee Daniels w. SRJO : Sacred Music of Duke Ellington * Origin * Yes * [----]
15 Re'i * Fern Lindzon w. Don Thompson : Moments Like These * iatros * U * [MAPL]

16 Intro/Cherokee * Harold Land/Elmo Hope/Scott LaFaro : Cellar, Vancouver 1957 * private * No * [----]

17 James Danderfer * Blues Migration : accelerated development * Cellar Live * Yes * [MAP-]

18 Mindif * Abdullah Ibrahim/DJ Spooky : Re:brahim * enja * No * [----]

The last fundraising show of this spring session and I extended the 'private recordings' offer for signing up with the station as well as including some new releases, recent acquisitions and upcoming gigs. The CD release gigs last weekend for Melody Diachun, and this weekend for James Danderfer, Dee Daniels at Cap tomorrow night and a new acquisition of Fern Lindzon's disc with some wonderful duets with George Koller, Don Thompson and Reg Schwager - more about that later.

The jazz festival lineup was announced this week (see http://www.coastaljazz.ca/index.cfm?page_id=62 for preliminary details) so most of the show tomorrow will be for some previews. But the ScottyHard/Scott Harding benefit is on at the Commodore tomorrow night, Talking Pictures with the Unexpected at Ironworks, Dee Daniels at Cap, Mark Sherman / Joe Magnarelli and James Danderfer at the Cellar this weekend, sounds like a festival right now!

N.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:22 PM

A-Trane Playlist April 25th, 2008

A-Trane Playlist April 25th, 2008 - Scotty Hard & Jazz Fest Preview

1 Take the A-Train * Dave Brubeck : Jazz Goes to College * Columbia * Yes * [----]

2 Focus on Sanity * John Coltrane/Charlie Haden : The Avant-Garde * Atlantic * Yes * [----]
3 Sundays at the Hillcrest * Charlie Haden's Quartet West : In Angel City * Verve * Yes * [----]
4 Lonely Town * Charlie Haden's Quartet West w. Shirley Horn : The Art of the Song * Verve * Yes * [----]

5 No More Trouble * Monty Alexander : Concrete Jungle: Music of Bob Marley * Tuff Gong * Yes * [----]
6 Happy Talk * Monty Alexander : Full Steam Ahead * Concord * Yes * [----]
7 Lively Up Yourself * Monty Alexander : Steamin' * Concord * Yes * [----]

8 Ain't Necessarily So * Andy Bey : Ain't Necessarily So * 12th Street Records * No * [----]
9 Where we used to live * e.s.t. : live in hamburg * emarcy * Yes * [----]
10 Northbound * Iro Haarla : Northbound * ECM * Yes * [----]
11 Full Moon, Blooming Flowers * Coco Zhao : Dream Situation * Effendi * No * [M-P-]
12 The Thought of You * Dee Daniels : JazzInIt * origin * No * [MAPL]

13 ** Afro-Blake * Michael Blake : drift * intuition * Yes * [MAP-]
14 ** revolutions * Vijay Iyer : Reimagining * Savoy * Yes * [----]
15 ** Prime Meridian * Groundtruther [Charlie Hunter/Bobby Previte] w. DJ Logic : longitude * thirsty ear * Yes * [MAPL]
16 ** The Grind * sex mob : Solid Sender * Knitting Factory * Yes * [----]
17 ** The General * ScottyHard : Radical Reconstructive Surgery * thirsty ear * Yes * [MAP-]

18 California, Here I Come * Jimmy Giuffre/Jim Hall/Bob Brookmeyer : Cafe Bohemia NYC 1958 * private * Yes * [----]
19 Voodoo * Jimmy Giuffre/Jim Hall/Bob Brookmeyer : Cafe Bohemia NYC 1958 * private * Yes * [----]
20 Four Brothers * Jimmy Giuffre/Jim Hall/Bob Brookmeyer : Cafe Bohemia NYC 1958 * private * Yes * [----]
21 Accidents with Ladders * Free F'All : Amsterdam Funk * SMJZ * Yes * [----]

22 Children at Play * Talking Pictures w. Wayne Horvitz : Intersection Poems * spool * Yes * [MAP-]
23 Modal Blues * Mark Sherman/Joe Magnarelli : One Step Closer * Consolidated Artists Productions * Yes * [----]
24 Memory Loss * James Danderfer : accelerated development * Cellar Live * Yes * [MAP-]

25 ** Latin Shuffle * Medeski Martin & Wood : Combustication * Blue Note * Yes * [----]

** are produced, engineered or mixed by Scott Harding

Mixed bag this week, with the Jazz Fest lineup announced did a number of things from artists coming to the festival this year, but found a 1958 Cafe Bohemia broadcast with the late Jimmy Giuffre in my bag, as well as iminent concerts from Dee Daniels, Talking Pictures, Mark Sherman/Joe Magnarelli, James Danderfer etc.

Also played a bunch of music associated in one way or the other with Scott Harding in anticipation of last Friday's benefit at the Commodore which sold out and was a lot of fun to boot! Apparently there will be a more jazz-oriented benefit (not to besmirch the stylings of the Jazzmanian Devils) upcoming, more details will be forthcoming.

By the way, the Thirsty Ear label donated a bunch of copies of Scott Harding's fabulous remix cd Radical Reconstructive Surgery - check out samples at http://www.myspace.com/scottyhard - which mixes up folks like John Medeski, Matthew Shipp, William Parker etc in a heady funky stew. I believe there are still some left at $20 with all proceeds to Scott - if you want one, drop me a line and I'll point you in the right direction.

I'm off to Toronto for my brother's wedding (at Casa Loma!) this week so Cory Weeds will be taking care of business this Friday, tata ... N
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:58 PM

A-Trane Playlist May 2nd, 2008 -

1 Rhythm-A-Ning * Arthur Taylor: Taylor's Tenors *New Jazz *yes * [----]

2 Lucky Charms * Michael Blake: The World Awakes *Stunt *yes * [-A--]

3 Wetu * Louis Smith: Smithville *Blue Note *Yes * [----]

4 Tenderly *Sharon Minemoto: You Can See The Ocean From Here *Pagetown *Yes *[-AP-]

5 You Can See The Ocean From Here * Sharon Minemoto: You Can See The Ocean From Here * Pagetown * Yes * [MAP-]

6 Young At Heart *Sharon Minemoto: You Can See The Ocean From Here * Pagetown * Yes * [-AP-]

7 Let's Groove * Stanley Turrentine: The Man * Time * Yes * [----]

8 I Wonder Where Our Love Has Gone * Zoot Sims: If I'm Lucky * Pablo * Yes * [----]

9 Yardbird Suite * Bud Powell: Bud Plays Bird * Roulette * Yes * [----]

10 Relaxin At Camarillo * Bud Powell: Bud Plays Bird * Roulette * Yes * [----]

11 Brown Skins * Gigi Gryce: And His Orchestra * Vogue * yes * [----]

12 Bum's Rush * Gigi Gryce: And His Orchestra * Vogue * yes * [----]

13 These Foolish Things * Greg Fishman & Jeremy Monteiro: Only Trust Your Heart * Jazznote * yes * [----]

14 My Romance * Greg Fishman & Jeremy Monteiro: Only Trust Your Heart * Jazznote * yes * [----]

15 Punchy * Brad Turner: Small Wonder * Maximum Jazz * yes * [MAP-]

16 Rememberings * Brad Turner: Small Wonder * Maximum Jazz * yes * [MAP-]

17 This Here* Louis Hayes: Maximum Firepower * Savant * yes * [----]

18 Sunday Mornin * Coleman Hawkins: Soul * Prestige * yes * [----]

19 Mamacita * Kenny Dorham: Trompeta Toccata * Blue Note * yes * [----]

20 Modinha * Grant Stewart: Young At Heart * Sharp Nine * yes * [-A--]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: