|Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT|
Giant Steps for March 2008
Giant Steps airs at www.kootenaycoopradio.com on Thursdays at 4pm and is repeated the next morning at 7am.
March 6 and 7
1. Kenny Werner: Lo's Garden from Lawn Chair Society (EMI)
2. Modern Jazz Quartet: Cue #9 from Patterns (United Artists)
3. Kenny Werner: Lawn Chairs from Lawn Chair Society
4. Kenny Werner Loss from Lawn Chair Society
5. Modern Jazz Quartet: Skating in Central Park from Patterns
6. Kenny Werner: West Coast Variant from Lawn Chair Society
7. Francois Houle: Old Blues from In the Vernacular (Songlines)
8. Kenny Werner: Kothbiro from Lawn Chair Society
9. Modern Jazz Quartet: A Cold Wind is Blowing from Patterns
March 13 and 14
1. Gerry Mulligan: Blueport from Concert Jazz Band at the Village Vanguard (Verve)
2. Steve Lacy: The Bath from The Rent (Cavity Search)
3. Gerry Mulligan: Body and Soul from Concert Jazz Band at the Village Vanguard
4. Steve Lacy: Blinks from The Rent
5. Paul Bley: Variation 7 from Solo in Mondsee (ECM)
6. Gerry Mulligan: Let my People Be from Concert Jazz Band at the Village Vanguard
March 20 and 21
1. Miles Davis: In a Silent Way from In a Silent Way (Columbia)
2. Safa: Sufinameh from Alight (Songlines)
3. Miles Davis: Yesterdays from Highlights from the Plugged Nickel (Columbia)
4. Safa: Chahar Mezrab from Alight
5. Safa: Whisper of Love from Alight
March 27 and 28
1. Kenny Barron/ Charlie Haden: Waltz for Ruth from Night and the City (Verve)
2. Medeski Martin and Wood: Just Like I Pictured It from Combustication (Blue Note)
3. Jane Bunnett: Nan Fonn Bwaa from Cuban Odyssey (EMI)
4. Jane Bunnett: Alabans from Cuban Odyssey
5. Medeski Martin and Wood: Whatever Happened to Gus from Combustication
6. Jane Bunnett: Prizon from Cuban Odyssey
7. Medeski Martin and Wood: Everyday People from Combustication
8. Kenny Barron/ Charlie Haden: Twilight Song from Night and the City
Bill, you're far too well-organized, I usually figure out which version of Take the A-Train I'm going to play and which Coltrane tune I'm going to start with and generally my show is improvised from there. A month in advance is practically unthinkable.
I've been enjoying Kenny Werner's Lawn Chair Society, a bit of a departure from his usual acoustic style; Chris Potter's Underground is a good companion to it (also a departure from his usual acoustic style) as is the original of the Ayub Ogada piece which the Werner group covers. But looks like you've got some nice juxtapositions.
Is the show being archived? ... N
nou.dadoun <at> gmail.com
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Hi Nou. I find that I really like planning in advance like that. It's satisfying somehow. When the show comes up each week, it's one I planned weeks ago and it's a bit of a surprise, like "oh yeah, cool, I decided to do a combination of Mulligan big band and Steve Lacy, that was an intriguing choice, let's see how that goes," and I do a bit of research for it the night before and then go in and do it. It's a sort of gift, like someone else planned a show for me. Otherwise I get stressed out the night before. And juxtapositions are what I am into these days-- it's an interesting intuitive thing. Sometimes I have no idea really why I choose to juxtapose two things.
The show is not archived, but it will be soon. The radio station is doing a major upgrade to its website, and then there will be lots of archived stuff available.
Yes I remember that Ayub Ogada thing from somewhere, it's very beautiful.
Nice to hear from you. I bet your baby isn't a baby any more....
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Giant Steps for February 2008||Bill Metcalfe||Jazz on the Air||0||Feb 13, 2008 09:13 AM|
|Giant Steps to February 15||Bill Metcalfe||Jazz on the Air||0||Jan 28, 2008 09:32 PM|
|Giant Steps Playlist for January 3 and 4||Bill Metcalfe||Jazz on the Air||0||Dec 30, 2007 08:34 PM|
|Giant Steps||Allan Johnston||General Discussions||4||Aug 27, 2006 09:57 AM|
|Giant Steps video||Kerry Galloway||Seen / Heard||2||May 8, 2006 02:38 PM|