Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Passages
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Nov 27, 2006, 11:36 AM

Mitzi Gibbs

It is my sad duty to announce the passing of Melissa (Mitzi) Gibbs this past weekend, in her sleep. Mitzi, who had been in bad health for quite a while, was always generous and engaging about music, art, and all things spiritual.

Mitzi is known to many jazz and rock musicians in Vancouver. In the 50's in her teens, she showed up at the old Cellar Jazz Club in Vancouver and was adopted by people like Barry Cramer (father of Dylan and Gary) and P.J. Perry. In the early 70's she lived with singer Jesse Winchester and later, the recently departed Billy Cowsill. She was a great friend of Long John Baldry.

Her family is going to arrange a memorial to be held at the Western Front at some point in the future. Her support and friendship will be missed by many.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:14 PM
Administrator

What sad news. Mitzi was a great friend and a great spirit, always generous and supportive, encouraging, loving, and passionate about art and people. A beautiful woman and human being in every way.

This picture of Mitzi (centre) with bill bissett and Joy Long is from about 12 years ago, at the Warren Tallman memorial at the Western Front.

Old Nov 27, 2006, 03:35 PM

Brian, it is indeed sad.
But the photo you posted is truly memorable.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 12:49 AM

Mitzi overcame a Dickensian childhood and was on her own from the age of 14. Since then she has nurtured, supported, nursed, fed, clothed, advised and housed many musicians and others during their time of need and was a patron of the arts. She was an amazing artist herself, stained glass, beading and more. She invented a revolutionary bead loom that I think will be lost with her. I think she deserved more happiness.

This is one of the glass pieces she made.

Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Memorial at Western Front

The memorial for Mitzi Gibbs will be held at the

Western Front
303 East 8th Ave
Vancouver

Sunday, January 7
2:30 PM

The organizers and Mitzi's two sons, Sean and Dal warmly invite all of Mitzi's friends to attend.

Food will be provided, but those who wish to bring snacks are encouraged to do so. Flowers will also be welcome.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:05 PM

i met mitzi in 1969 in montreal. i was a fucked up little art student at the time.

we went out to dinner once with my parents. my father said to me in hungarian, your friend is the most beautiful woman i've ever seen.

mitzi did deserve more happiness.