Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Vancouver Jazz History
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 30, 2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Fraser MacPherson interview!

Big thanks to Guy MacPherson for transcribing a 1976 CBC interview with Fraser MacPherson which just been added to vancouverjazz.com
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
Administrator

In my excitement I inadvertently left out comments by Stew Barnett and Bobby Hales that were aired with the interview. I've now added them so you all have to go back and read the whole thing again.

It would be nice if those of you who knew Fras, played with him, or just have anything to say about him or his music, would add your comments here. It would make a great, ongoing tribute to the man who made such an immeasurable contribution to Canadian jazz.

As for me, I wasn't close to the man but knew him from the early seventies and saw him fairly often as we were neighbours. I never met a nicer guy. When I asked him to play a benefit for the Vancouver Jazz Society in 1979 he didn't hesitate to offer his support.

A little anecdote: In those days Jack Wasserman wrote a daily "around town" type of column for the Sun which everybody read. Anyone doing anything in town tried to get a mention in the column. Kind of like in the movie, Sweet Smell of Success. I don't know how many times I called Wasserman's office with what I hoped were interesting enough little tidbits about shows I was putting on - hoping to make it into his column. Nothing worked. Then the day we opened our club above the Legion on 4th Avenue, the first guy through the door was Fraser MacPherson. (Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh were on that night.) Later that night I whispered to a friend something like "It's so great that Fras was the first guy through that door on our opening night!" That's exactly what appeared in Wasserman the next morning! I have no idea how it got there.

The last time I saw Fraser I was riding my bike home along the English Bay seawall and passed him sitting on a bench looking out at the bay. Normally when I saw him around we'd stop and chat for a while but I was in a hurry to get home. I thought to myself, 'I never photographed Fraser . . . he looks great sitting there . . . I should go back and take his picture. Nah . . . I'll get him next time.' I never saw him again. He died a few months later.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 02:01 PM

not controversial

Good read, especially if you make sure to listen to it in your mind's ear with Fraser's voice. With the passing of time I find myself becoming a little more tuned in to the less obvious formative influences that played in a part in my musical development. Things like the Hank Mobley solo from No Blues on the Miles at Carnegie Hall record, Dexter "Great Encounters", John Gilmore/Cliff Jordan "Blowin in from Chicago", and Fraser MacPherson "Live At The Planetarium", on West End Records. That was a favourite of both mine and my old man's (common ground which became more and more scarce once I started on the Coltrane Impulse library), and I still have the original LP copy. Listening to all three of those guys (Fraser, Ollie, and Wyatt) reminds me of the story of Johnny Hodges who when asked if it was true that he never played a wrong note, raised an eyebrow and said "why would I?". It still sounds great! So, not much of controversy there, but I enjoyed reading it. PD
Old Nov 6, 2006, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildwyer
Good read, especially if you make sure to listen to it in your mind's ear with Fraser's voice.
That's a great idea, Phil. I'm going to see if I can add an audio excerpt of the original interview.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: