Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of a "real names" policy for this forum?
Yes 21 63.64%
No 7 21.21%
Don't care 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #76  
Old Oct 1, 2006, 04:20 PM
Vic J Rhimes Vic J Rhimes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Now really John - is this necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doheny
“Well, I now know at least one thing about you. You're full of shit. I sent you a private e-mail asking you to properly introduce yourself, and you refused. You stated you did not wish to have a private conversation with me, and requested that I address you only in the forum.”
The fact is Mr. Doheny, your email did not ask me to “properly introduce myself.” You sent me a curt (if not rude) 5-word email, the body of which demanded, “Who are you?” The fact is, I don’t respond well to people who make demands of me, and I don’t wish to discuss anything privately with you. As for being “full of s**t,” admittedly, this may well be the case, but not for the reasons you claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doheny
“I'm not interested in being sniped at from behind an alias, so goodbye. This is the last response you'll ever get out of me about anything.”
Heavens, could I be so lucky. My, My, “Sniping at you from behind an alias.” This must be what you’ve been “suspecting” of me is it? What evidence do you have that I’m a sniper?

Many of my friends in the Vancouver jazz community know I’m using this pseudonym, and they know that it actually identifies me. To my mind, this means I am not anonymous. I don’t see why it should be a problem that John Doheny and Brian Nation don’t know who I am. I have posted nothing that falls outside of the rules of civil debate (OK. A little sarcasm now and then, but surely that’s allowed isn’t it? ), and I most certainly have not sniped at anyone. I have merely contributed some historical information to this website and presented an opposing view in the discussion forum on occasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryga
…The people that create the negativity happen to be anonymous users…
It seems to me that the most negative attitude displayed in this thread is that of the most prolific poster on this site, Mr. Doheny, who seems to be reduced to swearing at me for some reason. Of course, as we determined earlier, he uses this forum shamelessly as a promotional tool. Now I suppose he’s going to call that sniping. However it’s really just a conclusion drawn from observation – and one that Mr. Doheny previously admitted to.

IMHO, the only way to have real forum discussions in a community of sensitive artists (many having very tender egos) is to encourage pseudonyms! Let’s face it…there are a ton of people out there on the net who love to play “Whack-a-mole.” The higher the moles profile (Junos, Grammies, great reviews etc.) the more fun it is for those low-lifes to whack the mole. If you really want to discuss issues, choose a pseudonym and before long everyone that matters will eventually know your pseudonym and the jerks with the hammers probably won’t hang around long enough to find out. Oh, one problem though, it doesn’t serve self-promotion very well - just discussion.

Vic.

P.S. Don’t tell Doheny who I am. LMAO!
  #77  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:56 AM
Ryga Ryga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cloverdale, B.C, Canada
Posts: 171
Vic, it takes a little more courage of conviction to make a point and stick your mark on it, c'mon - I know you know that.

Well, anyway - when's this pissing contest gonna end Brian? - who wins? Lets get on with it. I need to know if I'm going to need to find me an offensive name so I can finally get on here and offend a few folks - gedeeup!!
  #78  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 11:27 AM
Guy Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 363
I've narrowed it down. Vic J. Rhimes is one of the following:

JIM CRIMES V
CHRIS M JIVE
RICH V MIJES
  #79  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 01:39 PM
Vic J Rhimes Vic J Rhimes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 23
Guy (whoever you are),

Nice try, but no cigar.

I think you made a good point earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy
I love ideas and words. Arguments should stand or fall on their own. Too often we automatically form an opinion based on what we know of the speaker of an argument without truly listening to what they have to say. Knowledge of who they are often biases us for or against them. Not always, certainly.
Vic.
  #80  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 03:40 PM
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryga
- when's this pissing contest gonna end Brian? -
When is it gonna start ? I hope soon because my bladder is ready to let loose and I've been drinking tea since this debate began.... bring it on....

(apologies to the civilized and females) (not to say females aren't civilized but you know what I mean) (anyway, a pissing contest with a female is unfair unless they're the Ping Pong Lady) (Apologies to the Ping Pong Lady)

---------------------------

A quick glance at the members list shows that most members use some sort of user-name or just their first or last name. Most don't vote though.... actually only 26 votes so far from 830 members !

I demand a re-count !
  #81  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 04:22 PM
Brian Nation Brian Nation is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic J Rhimes
Guy (whoever you are),

Nice try, but no cigar.

I think you made a good point earlier in this thread:

Vic.
Somebody - not me - or maybe me - thinks he made a lousy point.

Do either of you really accept all opinions and alleged facts at face value, without regard for who or where they came from? Someone says, "Balls!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryga
Well, anyway - when's this pissing contest gonna end Brian?
As far as someone's concerned it ended a while ago. There will be a policy encouraging real names here. As mentioned elsewhere, autoomatic new registrations have been disabled for other reasons and anyone asking to register will be encouraged to use their actual names. Someone is considering implementing the "usergroup" feature built-in to the forum software whereby posting priviliges might be restricted based on usergroup - something like that. Further thought and research is required. All will be explained later, by some person or persons unknown.
  #82  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 04:48 PM
Guy Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic J Rhimes
Guy (whoever you are),

Nice try, but no cigar.

I think you made a good point earlier in this thread:
Yes, but you also made a point earlier in this thread. To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIC J Rhimes
I have never hidden my identity from anyone who asked. If one doesn’t have the wit to figure it out from my posts, try asking around. I’m hiding nothing.
If you're hiding nothing, tell us who you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation
Somebody - not me - or maybe me - thinks he made a lousy point.
Et tu, Nation? (By the way, is "Nation" your real name?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation
Do either of you really accept all opinions and alleged facts at face value, without regard for who or where they came from? Someone says, "Balls!"
I can't speak for Vic or anyone else, but I sure try to. If it's a debate, the argument should stand or fall on its own. Ask Mike Rud! If he weren't so busy with school, he'd back me up on that.
  #83  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 05:14 PM
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 58
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation
There will be a policy encouraging real names here.
I'm holding back from slipping into Godwins Law.

I demand a re-count

26 votes from 830 members and you're done ! Why bother taking a poll ?

And what may I ask are you going to say to the majority of members who use user-names ?

Does this mean Ryga pisses the farthest ?

Can I go the bathroom now ?
  #84  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 05:23 PM
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation
Do either of you really accept all opinions and alleged facts at face value, without regard for who or where they came from? Someone says, "Balls!"
Um... call me old fashioned or naive but yes I do give people the benefit of the doubt and respect until they lose it.

And what do you mean by "Balls!" ? explain please.
  #85  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 05:47 PM
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 58
...just to clear something up from earlier in thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jarmush
You bring up some good points John Do, Actually the other day I met a guy here in Paris from Montreal, when I told him I was from Vancouver he asked me if I knew Morgan Childs. I do know Morgan Childs but only from this forum, but is that his 'real' name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Childs
Extra strange... I didn't go to McGill, and I don't know any opera singers.
The opera singer from Montreal (Nigel) says hello to Tilden Webb, not Morgan Childs, sorry for the mix up. (Morgan Childs, Tilden Webb, same name rhythm)
  #86  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 06:44 PM
John Korsrud John Korsrud is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: vancouver, Canada
Posts: 223
Ryga says:
"They were talking with such authority and with such disrespect to people who had posted with something real to say, that I was prepared to meet Miles Davis and Charlie Parker."

Hello Ryga (if that is your real name).
I don't know if I totally understand or agree with your logic here.
Are you saying whoever is the better player wins the debate?
I know alot of people who aren't even musicians, but do have a good understanding of music. You don't have to be a painter to appreciate the visual arts.
I agree there is a certain understanding that comes from exploring the music from the inside. But if only musicians understand or have opinions about music, where does that leave us?
  #87  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:05 PM
Allan Johnston Allan Johnston is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Van
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy
Yes, but you also made a point earlier in this thread. To wit:


If you're hiding nothing, tell us who you are.
Try your anagrams again, Guy.

Hey "Vic". Glad to hear you're still around. I wouldn't think a musician who deserves a place in Vancouver jazz history would need to hide in the shadows. You could be teaching a few things to the young 'uns around here - be a real life mentor. You taught me some, that's for sure. How many of your jazz mentors used pseudonyms? Anyway, good to hear from you, even if you're pretending it's not you.

Al
  #88  
Old Oct 2, 2006, 08:20 PM
blythe spirit blythe spirit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Delta, BC
Posts: 34
Brian Nation wrote "There will be a policy encouraging real names here."

and I will gladly comply. Except I can't figure out how to change my username, but I can change my signature.

I'm very perplexed at how this thread has progressed (or regressed as it were). I can't believe I'm hearing great musicians and lovers of jazz taking cheap shots at each other. Don't you guys get enough of that kind of abuse from the outside world without chipping away at each other?!! I've read enough of your posts over the years to know you're wonderful people for the most part & all have lots of redeeming qualities (although right now, I'd like to shake some of you for being so petty).

Just before I go back to lurking rather than posting, I'd like to say that if any of you seriously wants to put a face on my name, I'll be playing at Vancouver New Music's Cage Festival on Saturday Oct 21, at the Cellar on Mon Nov 6, and at the Western Front on Mon Dec 4. I doubt there'll be more than one 50ish trombonist on any of those 3 nights and would welcome anyone who'd like to swing by & say "hi".
__________________
Blythe Polreis
  #89  
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:21 AM
Ryga Ryga is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Cloverdale, B.C, Canada
Posts: 171
Good point jkorsrud - my wording was not accurate. I meant to imply that I was preparing to meet people who I felt 'thought' they had the authority of those two jazz icons to make some pretty blatant and hurtful assumptions on the subject of jazz and education in what I felt was an arrogant fashion. My reaction may well of been a touch old school but I won't apologize for having gotten pissed off with it. I wanted to determine for myself whether or not these two opinionated people could explain to me why they found it so necessary to be argumentative, face to face and not from behind a computer. I don't think it's too far fetched you know, half the time I bumped into a musician at that time, the subject of the forum would inevitably come up so I know the whole thing was occupying perhaps - dare I say - 'too much' attention, that's how I felt anyway and these were the people I was playing with so.. It was all rather consuming and the negative aspect to it all needed to end - and jkorsrud - if that is indeed your real name - it did end, at least for a while.
  #90  
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:45 AM
Steve Bagnell Steve Bagnell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 103
I have my suspicions about this "jkorsrud" guy. I've always wondered why he and former teen idol Styles Bitchley are never seen together in public. It makes one wonder...
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Are You Listening To? zula General Discussions 116 Jun 4, 2008 06:18 AM
Best and Worst Ryga General Discussions 60 Apr 26, 2006 10:50 AM
Who is Randy Bachman? Brian Nation General Discussions 78 Jul 11, 2004 02:55 PM
User names or Real names? Brian Nation General Discussions 9 Jun 3, 2004 11:59 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.