Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you in favour of a "real names" policy for this forum?
Yes 21 63.64%
No 7 21.21%
Don't care 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Real names

The subject of “real names” vs “user names” has come up here at least three or four times over the years, usually in response to some nasty personal attacks by unknown people against other forum members. There’s never been a consensus but I think the pro-realnames side tended to be slightly in the majority. My personal feeling is that members here should use their real names. Why? Two reasons. One, there are three or four new registrations every day, most of them of a dubious nature - spammers, for the most part. The obvious spammers are deleted right away. Others are not clear and are left till they post some spam and then are gone. This is a huge pain for me to deal with.

The other reason is that this is a community-based forum. Not every knows everyone else but most members of this board live in BC and are either fans or players of jazz music. Everyone is welcome to post, wherever they live and whatever they do, but for the most part the subject matter deals with a local music scene. I think real names would foster more of a sense of a real community.

I can’t see the downside of a real names policy. Others have mentioned that people might not feel free to express certain opinions other than anonymously. I don’t buy that. This isn’t a forum about health problems or sexual tendencies or workplace issues. What possible secrets would anyone have to divulge in a jazz forum? Anyway, if there was something you wouldn’t post using your real name, just don’t post it.

That may be legit reason for usernames but I also think the disadvantage is far outweighed by the advantage, which would be – I hope – that more people would participate in the forum if they didn’t feel they were subject to personal attacks by anonymous members. I believe a lot of formerly active members left for that very reason.

Another thing I’ve never understood is this: many member of this board are professional musicians. Why on earth would you NOT want people to know your names? You’re in a business where name recognition is a priority.

In any case I’m leaning very strongly in favour of implementing some kind of system that would require new users to sign up with their real names and for current users with usernames to simply add a signature to their profiles so that their names appear in their posts. Re-registering would also be an option.

Before I do anything I’m asking you once again for your feedback on this issue, either by replying to this, or voting in the poll. (Voting, by the way, is anonymous, so pelase take a second to click on your preference.)

Brian
Old Sep 19, 2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation
Another thing I’ve never understood is this: many member of this board are professional musicians. Why on earth would you NOT want people to know your names? You’re in a business where name recognition is a priority. Brian
It's not all about recognition, it's not all about business. Your statement reminds me of the person who says "I can't pay you but it's good exposer".

Do people who post here with there real name get more/better paying gigs and sell more cd's because of it? I doubt it.

When someone uses a user name (pseudonym) , the pseudonym is the name of that poster on the forum and is responsible for what he/her says.

There are many reason's for a "professional musician" to use a pseudonym on the Internet. for example; if someone googles a musician who uses his/her real name on forums etc. you end up getting a bunch of bla bla bla first on the list rather than websites that are more informative and commercial for that musician. It's better business practice to use a pseudonym.

my 2bits,
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Something I should have clarified originally . . . I'm not going to demand ID when someone registers. Let's say asking for your "real" name is more of a guideline or a strong suggestion, rather than a rule. There's no way I could check everyone's real name, even if I wanted to.

Here's an example from another forum I belong to. It's a professional photographer's forum. All they do when you register is ask a couple of very general questions about what you do, your interests, etc. Very friendly and open ended. Your real name is your username but I'm sure if you wanted to you could make up a name. It's not really the point. The point is to conduct discussions and exchange information on a friendly, intelligent, and useful level, and it works.

It's not exactly the same here. You don't have to be a player, or even be into jazz, to participate. But you get the idea.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:35 PM

Jack,

I don't know about you, but I comment on this forum a fair bit, and on various others, all under my real name. But when I google "John Doheny" (not that I often indulge in such blatant ego surfing) the forum blah-blahs still usually come up two or three pages in. The 'important' stuff (gigs, clubs, interviews, CDs etc) all comes up pretty close to the front. Anyway that stuff is always easy to find if you refine the search, say John Doheny>jazz>interview etc. Eliminates references to my dad, too, who was an English Lit. scholar and had the same name. Cuts out the Doheny Septic Tank company and the guy who played guitar in Donkey Punch as well.:-P~
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:39 PM

Hey, this is fun.

I just did a google image search on you, and at the end of page two there's a picture of Lucy Lawless in a bathingsuit.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:45 AM

Brian, Ok, I see it's not a strict rule to use your real name but to just be respectful to the forum, that's understandable.

John, I googled you and the 2nd and 3rd result (after johndoheny.com) was this forum. Of course you being a literary/literate type of guy you probably don't mind being associated with wordy stuff. BTW, nice website.
(They took my website of the net because someone forgot to pay the rent )

BTW, my real name is Bill Van Der Zaam.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Jarmush
It's better business practice to use a pseudonym.
I assume this is a joke.

If you have a web site, adding a signature file to your profile here in the Jazz Forum, with your real name and a link to your site, will increase your site's ranking in search results. Google and other search engines factor in the number of links pointing to your web site when determining how near the top your site appears.

To add a signature click on UserCP on the menu above, then click on Edit Signature.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 02:40 PM

Done

Thanks Brian.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 05:56 PM

Quite apart from the notion of direct 'business' benefits (e.g. will a musician using their real name get more gigs or sell more cds), people using their real names helps built a sense of community and a that community's sense of identity. And I know that's why Brian set this thing up in the first place because we've talked about it (and he said so above).

Many of the players I see post here I certainly knew before the forum started but many (Morgan comes to mind as an example) were completely unknown to me but given an opportunity I've gone to check out their playing. I didn't know John Doheny before (and I've never met him face to face) but I picked up his cd and liked it enough to have played it a couple of times on the radio show.

Notable in their absence are the people who generally write about music professionally (e.g. Mark Miller, Greg Buium, Alex Varty, etc.) and I know that (for at least one of them) the reason they don't participate directly is that they don't want to be taken to task for their professional writings. So if using a pseudonym encourages knowledgeable people to participate, I wouldn't want to ban it.

In terms of administration, I know some forums/lists require that someone who registers must provide an active email address and that person must respond to a confirmation email sent to that address before their registration is complete. I don't know if vBulletin supports that but it would probably help automate the process. .... N
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Sep 20, 2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nou Dadoun
Notable in their absence are the people who generally write about music professionally (e.g. Mark Miller, Greg Buium, Alex Varty, etc.) and I know that (for at least one of them) the reason they don't participate directly is that they don't want to be taken to task for their professional writings. So if using a pseudonym encourages knowledgeable people to participate, I wouldn't want to ban it.N
They wouldn't want to stand up for ideas they've already expressed in print, in a friendly dialogue with real jazz musicians using their real names? How will we know they're "knowledgeable people", in such a case, if they don't identify themselves? Aren't they part of this "community", too?

Al
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:27 PM

Well you've already taken me to task for something that I said quite innocently which I thought was relatively uncontroversial. Maybe they've got a point.

There are different ways of being part of a community, supporting the scene by writing reviews or previews or offbeat pieces for media outlets is certainly contributing to a community at the very least by exposing elements of it to people outside that community. But I can see how someone who writes an honest review of something they didn't like might not feel like having to defend it word by word.

N.
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Sep 21, 2006, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation
I assume this is a joke.
...not joking, even if my website moves up the google list a little it doesn't really help. If it was say in the top ten of a 'jazz' search then something could be done.

Have you guys heard of the guitarist BucketHead ? the guy uses a fake name, wears a mask and KFC bucket on his head, he sells a lot of records.

http://www.bucketheadland.com/story/index.html

What is a "real name" anyway? I like how some of the African players promote themselves by making up a myth; saying par example that they are 175 years old and have 500 children and killed three master drummers in drum battles etc. it is much more entertaining than the usual ; So and So was born there in this year and studied music at UBC ...... boring. I like that people use other names on the internet, if you know the person, you know their real name, if you don't know the person then the name you know them by is their name for that purpose. If you really must know someones real name it is not difficult to find it if that person really is a member of the community, if they are not, then what difference does it make.

I just don't like rules and asking for real names seems a little strict to me, what's next, will we have to scan our passports to use the internet like in Italy (yes you do)? how do we know that the so called real names are real, maybe JDoheny is CRyga.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nou Dadoun
Well you've already taken me to task for something that I said quite innocently which I thought was relatively uncontroversial. Maybe they've got a point.
N.
If asking an honest question can be confused for "taking someone to task", you're right - they'll never drop their aliases.

Al
Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:17 AM

PS: Sorry if you thought I was taking you to task.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:31 AM

Ive been using a pseudonym on this forum for years because I like the anonimity. I'd die if people ever found out who 'jkorsrud' was.

Freddie Hubbard rules.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: