Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Feb 8, 2006, 06:18 PM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Recall David Emerson petition online

Hey all. Mr. Infrequent Poster here.

I'm in David Emerson's riding. You may have heard the flap lately about Emerson running as a Liberal, winning his riding and immediately joining the Conservative Party in exchange for a cabinet post.

This is a petition requesting his recall. Any Canadian entitled to vote is entitled to sign it if they wish.

http://www.petitiononline.com/RDE/petition.html

"To: Government Of Canada
We the undersigned believe that David Emerson elected as a Liberal Member of Parliament for the riding of Vancouver Kingsway should be immediately recalled and a by election held so that the people of Vancouver Kingsway and in general all Canadians can be represented by the party and candidate of their choice.

David Emerson should immediately resign his current position in the Conservative Party and his cabinet position of Minister of International Trade. The people of Canada and in Particular the people of Vancouver Kingsway deserve proper democratic rights."

Okay. For the record - I don't personally think it's about absolute issues of him changing parties; this happens all the time. This is about voting for a set of policies and then finding you've been "bait-and-switched" to another diametrically opposed one within days of voting.

You'll note that what the petition is saying is not "sandblast him and drip iodine on his back". It's essentially "okay - now you're a Conservative. Now run again. Let's now have an honest byelection with a declared party affiliation and see if your constituents vote the same way again."

He won't be nuts about this, of course, for a good reason. Conservatives here would have better odds of winning the 649 than a byelection.

Which is actually the point. If Vancouver Kingsway wanted a conservative candidate, we would have sent one to Ottawa. That's how democracy works. We did not - yet we were given something diametrically opposite to what we clearly and unequivocally asked for. That's not how democracy's supposed to work.

I did not vote for David Emerson - I voted for a platform and policies. My vote was switched to support a platform and policies I strongly disagree with.

Here's what I wrote in my signature, just so you can see what I personally think it is - and isn't - about.

"I have been robbed of my most fundamental right as a Canadian citizen... How am I expected to make a reasoned and informed contribution to the democratic process in my country if I have had my vote transferred arbitrarily to another party whose policies I strongly disagree with? It makes a mockery of the democratic process if you vote for one set of principles and policies and find your vote effectively transferred to a diametrically opposed set. I recognize the right of David Emerson to follow his conscience and change parties; it's neither uncommon nor inherently unethical. But this, in the first days after an election, and with a transparent motive of personal gain, is a transcendental outrage. I am livid."

Sorry to bring politics here. I thought long and hard before posting this. After that three seconds had elapsed, I decided I wanted to give the opportunity to any others who feel their voice was ignored to reclaim that voice.

I'd prefer not to misdirect energy here by entering into discussion of policies; what's on the table here is strictly about straight-up bait-and-switch, not the separate issues of "what it was switched to or from". By itself, it's amply outrageous.

Feel free to ignore this if you don't agree.

"Being bitter is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other guy to die"

-unknown
Old Feb 8, 2006, 06:54 PM

One of my best friends lives in that riding and voted for Emerson to keep the Conservative scourge away. I can't imagine how he (and you, Kerry) feel about this. Incredible... the worst example of political opportunism I've ever seen. He should be clapped in irons for this.

I'll sign this petition, but if you find one for the sandblasting/iodine, I'll sign that one too.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 07:46 PM
JTCopper

Yeah Morgan, I totally agree with your take on this. If Mingus were here, he would know what to do...
Old Feb 9, 2006, 02:19 AM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Morgan - *snort*

"...know it?? I WROTE it!"

-unknown
Old Feb 9, 2006, 02:40 AM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Jt -

Yes, Mingus would write a killer arrangement, snort enough dingle dust to kill Trigger and badly injure Roy Rogers and then discharge a shotgun into a potted acacia.

What I'm personally inclined to do is to go door-to-door in this riding for signatures on a petition saying our democratic rights were effectively removed and then taking it to the Governor General of Canada.

She gets to choose what happens if the Harper government falls in a non-confidence vote (say, on the budget vote in a few months, which happy thought consoles me when I consider the position that would place Emerson in). Apparently one of her options would be to invite the Liberals to form a coalition government with the NDP. The Conservatives are thus obliged to not annoy her badly; she's a wheel that would get oiled fast.

If that fails, I'll see if I can find an acacia.

-unknown
Old Feb 9, 2006, 07:02 PM

*sigh* Politics. I care so much about Politics yet constantly get turned off by the morons involved. Normally simply a lurker I thought I'd chirp in on this. Before posting I should note the difference between Political LAW and Political CONVENTION. If you get the most votes in an election you do not automatically become the governing party. Political Law (can't remember if it's in the constitution or not..... my Canadian Poli Sci class was a few years back) says that the Governor General appoints the party who, based upon the election results, thinks can best hold the confidence of the house. An example of this would be if the Liberals and Conservatives were literally neck and neck and the Conservatives barely squeeked out with the victory. Without a coalition, the GG might opt to appoint the Liberals the government based upon their ability to work closely with both the NDP, Bloc and the Green Party. *sigh.... one of these days they'll get someone in!* Of course this hasn't happened, nor will it happen soon, but it is law. CONVENTION says that whoever gets the most votes wins, but it's more complicated then that. Just a thought...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 01:16 AM

Right on Kerry. I'd go straight to the iodine.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 05:22 PM
www.kerrygalloway.com

For people following this issue,

these are accounts of the townhall meeting yesterday, Saturday Feb. 11, where the community turned out in droves (I'm not kidding - it was packed to the top of the bleachers and spilling into the aisles) to express their frustration.

The CBC article: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ndp060211.html

The Vancouver Province article: http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...0ce291&k=30870

(Yes, that's me quoted in both articles. I was about 20th of many who took the offer of stepping up to the open community mic.)

Emersen says he's going to "stay the course". I wonder if David's new Conservative handlers advised him that quoting George Bush was the way to handle this? Now that's some political sensitivity in Vancouver Kingsway.

-unknown
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:51 PM

Just saw you on national TV (CTV Newsnet).

You tell 'em!!!

Al
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

David Emerson contact info:

Parliamentary Address:
David Emerson
House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6

Telephone: (613) 943-0267
Fax: (613) 943-0219
E-Mail: Emerson.D@parl.gc.ca

Constituency Address:
2148 Kingsway
Vancouver, BC V5N 2T5

Telephone: (604) 775-6263
Fax: (604) 775-6284

The petition
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:17 PM
www.kerrygalloway.com

What I have learned personally from this.

Take it as you like - but I will think very long and hard before ever being tempted to vote strategically again.

-unknown
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Food for thought
Old Feb 13, 2006, 01:41 PM

I think it is just a matter of time before STV (Single Tansferable Vote Electoral System) is brought into effect. It was almost passed in the last provincial referendum and I think that Ontario is voting on it soon. I don't know if it is the best political system but it is far superior to what we currently have.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 01:38 PM
outcast

Send a message via AIM to LAZZ Send a message via Yahoo to LAZZ
Recently heard from someone who appeared to know quite authoritatively what he was talking about in terms of Canadian politics, that the recall process is something only applicable at provincial level, but not the federal. So garnering support for the notion would be a purely symbolic act with no practical consequence. Unlike say - assassination - which works effectively on both levels and is guaranteed to re-introduce the concept of government by consent.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 04:30 PM
www.kerrygalloway.com

Heya Lazz...

As far as I know, recall only exists in BC, and then only at the provincial level.

And inasmuch as it hasn't succeeded once in twenty separate tries since its recent inception, it's about as valuable an artifact as a coffee mug with the handle on the inside.

The goal's actually to put political pressure on Emerson to resign and run again.

Effectiveness doesn't rely on his conscience either; if he can't get work done because he's drawing fire for this, then he's not just a glaring political liability to Harper, he's ineffectual to boot. Continued pressure looks like the key.

-unknown

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: