Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > BC Jazz
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:52 PM

Dave,

My appologies, I hadn't meant to offend you...I was trying to make a joke but I guess It came off as an insult. I Played w/ your band several times at pags and it was always fun. And as far as I know you never fired me.

I've just come back from the road so I'm sorry I could not address this sooner.

Jesse Cahill
Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:15 PM

Jesse Cahill

Jesse,

Thanks for posting that, I appreciate the apology and your comments..

As you can probably tell the original post by Noah Becker really pissed me off. That kinda shit can really hurt a person, get you a bad rep and send a wrong message out there…At the risk of sounding self serving, the amount of time and effort I have put into young players over the years, I don't deserve that kinda shit either..

I used to post on the Aston Martin Owners Club Forum and the Sax on The Web Forum and there’s a fringe element out there who can latch on ta that kind shit and be really unpleasant..

On a positive note the last time I saw ya play was with Phil at Esquimalt High. Ya sounded great and what was really impressive was ya didn’t bury the band….Al Harewood would be proud… Keep the faith …Sincerely David Keen
Old Jul 11, 2005, 08:39 PM

Ok Dave, now that you're around to defend yourself:

My comment rubbbed you the wrong way, and you are correct, it is unfair to talk about someone when they're not around. I listed "Victoria Jazz Musicians" then James Young entered in with " here are some others that Noah left out." Phil Dwyer' s comment about leaving out everybody over 40 was cute, and gave me the idea to mention you because of the controversial nature of your personality. If you want to turn this into a mock court room an attempt to intimidate me you'll lose. If you want to go gothic and start hurling insults I'll see you in the underworld, and I'm 1000 times more in tune with the ways of the dark lord than you are, and my bird is on the wing just like yours. Not only am I not afraid of you, I find your comments reactionary. If anyone is getting attacked here it's me. Meet me on my bandstand. I've never said anything like Dave you are a "Wanker" or JAMF or other low blows like that, my original comment was meant to make you look good. Yes you felt attacked and certainly your reaction and the timing of being in ill health is unfortunate and I'm sorry for that, and I wish you all the healing and good health possible. But don't you ever come at me like that, understand? It's important that you understand that you don't always rub everbody the right way. I know less than nothing about your history on the level of accurate detail. Your comments about my manner of dress does not affect me as I am a legendary for being an elegant raconteur. People talk about me all the time, it's part of being a performer or seeking out the public in a direct way. I'm not a household name, neither are you, so check your ego. You are at a point in life that I respect and do not intend to mock, I am simply speaking what I feel telling a story and throwing in some humor here and there. In the future will your retro 1950's fetish really move modern music forward in any significant way? I've been misrepresented by you Dave Keen. I'm about to say sorry again so you apologize to me you Jamf for not understanding the words I wrote about you (don't jive the jiver).

I'm retracting my statement, and I'm sorry for what this has mutated into, I'm sorry dave. I've always loved you and your

huge warm tenor sound. the biggest tenor sound around.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 09:15 PM

Yep yer a JAMF...

Did you proof read your post before you posted it????

It would be laughable. If it wasn’t such a bunch of self serving, sanctimonious, psychotic, bullshit..

Anytime you make a statement about me that’s an out and out lie. I’ll come on at you when ever and how ever I like and you better believe that..

This has nothing to do with intimidation. You’re already intimidated.. Read yer post, you’re obviously so insecure I don’t need to intimidate you.

Read my lips don’t ever use my name in a post again.

If you had any class or sensitivity at all you wouldn’t have made the comment in the first place..Like I said yer a JAMF…….

At least Copper and Jesse had the decency to apologize. You can’t even do that without turning into a platform to tell everyone how great you are.

LEGENDARY/NEW YORK/RACONTUER……. Who are you Walter Mitty..Grow up get a fucking life…….

You’ve been spreading bullshit for so long you’re beginning to believe it yerself………
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:36 PM

musicians sensitive egos

we all have one and the fact is, musicians talk about other musicians periodically and often when they aren't around...let him who hasn't throw the first stone! from what i read noah was joking and the joke got extended..now it has turned into a soap opera, and the only thing missing is the 50/60's bluenote sound track!!!! they say letting go{of the past and etc} is hard to do and i can attest to that too. cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:39 PM

hey jesse

what ya been up to lately? drop by if you are headed up to lasquiti sometime, or over on the island.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 01:39 AM

James,

I'll be over in Hictoria in August w/ PJ and Bobby Shew and up your way w/ Phil the week after. Maybe we can hang then.

Cheers,
Jesse
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:17 AM

Hi, Dave, Richard Whitehouse here. Sorry to hear about your prostate surgery, hope you recover quickly. Aside from that, I hope everything's good with you.

I just want to say thanks for not firing me when I were a young wanker lad back in Victoria! Maybe you did once or twice and I've forgotten, but I probably deserved it anyway, if you did.

In any case, as I've told you before, I learned a lot from working with you and I'm happy to call you a friend. And yes, I remember listening to Blue Note records, and eating chicken curry at your place, and how good it was.

I seem to recall you telling me I was too young to get married, too. Wish I'd listened.

Cheers, mate
Richard
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:59 AM

yer the man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW
Hi, Dave, Richard Whitehouse here. Sorry to hear about your prostate surgery, hope you recover quickly. Aside from that, I hope everything's good with you.

I just want to say thanks for not firing me when I were a young wanker lad back in Victoria! Maybe you did once or twice and I've forgotten, but I probably deserved it anyway, if you did.

In any case, as I've told you before, I learned a lot from working with you and I'm happy to call you a friend. And yes, I remember listening to Blue Note records, and eating chicken curry at your place, and how good it was.

I seem to recall you telling me I was too young to get married, too. Wish I'd listened.

Cheers, mate
Richard
Nope I never fired you.... We had our differences..but I still consider you a good friend.. and I always had and still do based on the CDs you've sent me the highest regard for you're musical abilities..If ya came back ta town I'd hire ya in a heartbeat notwithstanding that the piano chair has been Tony Genge's for over 25 years now and he hasn't been fired once either..However he ain't around for a good part of the year either. I appreciate you keeping in touch..

I just got the quiz by the way.......RED HAMMER GO FIGURE.. I sent it to a buddy and had him do it while I was on the phone. He came up with RED SPANNER......Still pretty close........Always good ta hear from ya..Keep in touch....d
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:48 AM

I came up with red hammer too, and so did my girlfriend. Weird, huh?

I'm thinking of adopting Red Hammer as my new showbiz name - "Red Hammer pounds the ivories", etc. Whaddya think?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:02 PM
JTCopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire
James,

I'll be over in Hictoria in August w/ PJ and Bobby Shew and up your way w/ Phil the week after. Maybe we can hang then.

Cheers,
Jesse
Now there's a gig! Nice. What clubs / venues will you be playin' at?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW
I came up with red hammer too, and so did my girlfriend. Weird, huh?

I'm thinking of adopting Red Hammer as my new showbiz name - "Red Hammer pounds the ivories", etc. Whaddya think?
EHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I wouldn't if it were me...however??????????dk
Old Jul 12, 2005, 11:44 PM

Smile Questions about the Victoria Jazz Scene

Hi There. I'm thinking of moving to Victoria. I live in New York now, but I accidentally strangled a Dominican prostitute, so I need to get as far away from the New York area as I can. Just to escape the memories. I play jazz recorder, but not very well. I'm wondering, if I wanted to " sit in" and "jam" with some of you Victoria guys, how "many" songs "should" I "know" to feel confident to sit in. I know 11 songs already. They "are":
A Call For All Demons
A Child Is Born
A Family Joy
A Fine Romance
A Foggy Day
A Night in Tunisia
African Flower
Afro Blue
Afternoon IN Paris
Airegin( Not Fast!)
Alice IN Wonderland

Basically I started on the "A's" and I'm going pretty good. So what say you?
If anyone is looking to play please let me know.
Clamato
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:29 PM

JT,

As far as I know we're at Hermanns. Although I haven't got official confirmation it's on PJs web site.

later
Jesse
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:28 PM

Hello Dave Keen

Wow,

Hi Dave, it was another life when we played together. It's great to see you've still got the fire. I would love to hear you - are you ever in Vancouver?

For those looking in, Dave was and is the greatest tenor player i ever heard in Victoria and there were some fine ones.

Cheers. get well.

Bill

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: