Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > BC Jazz
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:10 AM

Is this g-rock from trailer park boys? It's Terry Deane, J, not Terry Dean...and yes, it was a thread about Mark Turner, and how Branford (unfairly) said Mark couldn't play the blues, then someone called "Guardian of all things black" started yapping at Terry...George Colligan wrote something that if printed would be thicker than Herman Wouk's new novel...
Old Jun 4, 2005, 06:31 PM
Booty

All Wrong

Noah, your origianal comment about Keen made me laugh out loud. Too true.
But the rest of you folk are looking at this all wrong - if you are from Victoria and HAVEN'T played with Dave and his sweet little monitor then, who are you kidding, you are a no one.
Dave is an undeniable institution, a consumate professional of specific taste, a fine cook, and one hell of a ladies man with two or three of the best lines anywhere, and he blows a mean, inside, calssic Blue Note sort of horn.
Personally, my time with him was one heck of a learning experience and I gained a fine friend that I now see not often enough. Is he playing anywhere?
Old Jun 4, 2005, 08:50 PM

Dear Friends,

I am playing sax in Zurich Switzerland as I write this (will be back in Victoria on June 27th)

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR... I HAVE ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR DAVE KEEN. I LEARNED A GREAT DEAL ABOUT THE SAXOPHONE FROM DAVE KEEN.

But on another subject...
Old Jul 9, 2005, 06:30 PM

wanker

The only “Jesse” who ever played in my band was Jesse Cahill so I assume that’s you?????

I would point out you can’t be fired from a band that you were never a member of……. You played with me one night at Pags and you subbed for my regular Drummer at the time, Josh Dixon..

I would also point out you were still in high school at the time and wet behind the ears. Not only did I give you the opportunity to play with the best straight ahead hard bop band in town at the time. I also showed you a great deal of respect and kindness.. I gave you an opportunity to take drum solos on every straight ahead tune we played…..

I still have a tape of that evening….Jack Stafford, Jan Sterling and Dave Paulson were amongst the folks who packed into Pags that night to hear the band….

Suggesting I fired you is not only telling lies your remark about someone who gave you a chance to play is truly disingenuous. And that’s the trait of a true “wanker”
Old Jul 9, 2005, 06:35 PM

Correction: Hugh Fraser was never fired from my band he left the band cos he moved to Vancouver
Old Jul 9, 2005, 06:50 PM

To James Young

James I never fired you.

Lets get the facts straight.

When you first came to town I hired you for two casual gigs. I didn’t like the way you played so I never called you again. The reason I called you twice was to give you the benifit of the doubt but I didn't like what I heard the second time either.....

That my friend is not firing someone..You were never a regular member of the band anyways, you were subbing on those gigs for Joey Smith who was the regular bass player..

When I hired you recently I told you that the way you played when you first came to town didn’t work for me ……..The last time I heard you, you seemed to have a much better concept of what a string bass is supposed to do in a rhythm section. And ya did a good job for me when we played at Herman’s and I’d hire ya again. So let’s not start spreading untruths..Please DK
Old Jul 9, 2005, 07:12 PM

Noah Noah Noah you're a JAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahBecker
You didn't mention Dave Keen, who has also fired everyone on this list from his band...
Not only do I not now most of the folks on these lists, I have not met them nor have I played with them....Nor have they been in my band....

Noah if yer gonna talk about someone on a Forum at least get your facts straight before you misrepresent them on the WWW.

I really don’t know where to begin with all this BS and frankly I should be practicing now instead of defending myself on a Forum..Which is what all you guys should be doing to………Practicing that is…

The only reason I’m not practicing and have time to respond to all this nonsense is cos I’m at home recovering from prostate surgery and can’t play or do anything else at the moment…..

I found this site by accident I was looking for Herman’s to try and find out who was playing…….. And then I find a whole bunch of lies and nonsense………

Smarten up Noah and while yer about it get rid of that stupid Zoot suit and the dark glasses, trying ta dress like a jazz musician outa the fifties won’t make ya sound like one…Didn’t ya learn anything from me????….dk
Old Jul 9, 2005, 07:28 PM

Booty.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty
Noah, your origianal comment about Keen made me laugh out loud. Too true.
But the rest of you folk are looking at this all wrong - if you are from Victoria and HAVEN'T played with Dave and his sweet little monitor then, who are you kidding, you are a no one.
Dave is an undeniable institution, a consumate professional of specific taste, a fine cook, and one hell of a ladies man with two or three of the best lines anywhere, and he blows a mean, inside, calssic Blue Note sort of horn.
Personally, my time with him was one heck of a learning experience and I gained a fine friend that I now see not often enough. Is he playing anywhere?
Thank you for those few kind words whoever you are and I'm sure there are dozens of other gifted young players, who over the last 30 years went through my band, who think the same way. I hope???????dk
Old Jul 9, 2005, 08:18 PM

Where the hell do you get off cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCopper
If this guy needs a unit to "hear" himself all of the time, is that not the definition of "wanker"? LOL
You obviously don't get outa the house much do ya coop.....

Jazz musicians specifically horn players have been using monitors systems for years...So they can hear themselves.....

The first time I saw Joe Henderson in the early 70's, who was not a loud tenor player….He was using the house monitor system...Cos Larry Hancock was burying him..By your definition a wanker????

Last time I saw Tony Williams, who was too loud to start off with, his whole kit was individually mic’d. He buried the band… Wallace Roney and Billy Pierce had ta use a monitior system….Again Wankers by your definition???????

The last time I saw Stanley Turrentine he was using a clip on mic and a personal monitor system through the house system and after the first tune he asked the sound guy to turn up his monitor cos in his words “ I’m having ta push an awful lot of air through this horn to hear myself” What a wanker by your definition…….

When I used to go and see Dexter back in the 60's some clubs didn't have house systems and quiet often he would put the horn through a guitar amp so he could hear himself. Dexter a wanker come on coop get ya shit tagether..

Get out of the house more cooper yer a JAMF…….And ya know why yer a JAMF???? cos ya judged somebody you have never met and know absolutely nothing about based on a bunch of lies that some other JAMF posted on a Forum .That makes you an even worse JAMF.dk

Last edited by neekamv8 : Jul 9, 2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 09:42 PM
JTCopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekamv8
You obviously don't get outa the house much do ya coop.....

Jazz musicians specifically horn players have been using monitors systems for years...So they can hear themselves.....

The first time I saw Joe Henderson in the early 70's, who was not a loud tenor player….He was using the house monitor system...Cos Larry Hancock was burying him..By your definition a wanker????

Last time I saw Tony Williams, who was too loud to start off with, his whole kit was individually mic’d. He buried the band… Wallace Roney and Billy Pierce had ta use a monitior system….Again Wankers by your definition???????

The last time I saw Stanley Turrentine he was using a clip on mic and a personal monitor system through the house system and after the first tune he asked the sound guy to turn up his monitor cos in his words “ I’m having ta push an awful lot of air through this horn to hear myself” What a wanker by your definition…….

When I used to go and see Dexter back in the 60's some clubs didn't have house systems and quiet often he would put the horn through a guitar amp so he could hear himself. Dexter a wanker come on coop get ya shit tagether..

Get out of the house more cooper yer a JAMF…….And ya know why yer a JAMF???? cos ya judged somebody you have never met and know absolutely nothing about based on a bunch of lies that some other JAMF posted on a Forum .That makes you an even worse JAMF.dk
All of my apologies, meant no disrespect to you. I made the mistake of hopping on this "train" started by someone else. All of my best and hope that you have a speedy recovery. Take care and I will delete all of my posts that I made in response to this thread started by someone else. Everyone seemed to have the same response, so I was just poking a little fun....my apologies.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:54 PM

Go get 'em Dave

I don't think I was ever fired from the band, but I hope that my one summer at Pag's was enough to qualify as having played in the band. I certainly had a great time playing with Mr Keen, as well as Josh and Sean. What I dug about Dave was that he played great, and really was only doing it because he loves to play. The other thing that I really appreciated was that he invited me to his house for one of the best meals, Indian food (complete with breads and desert), that I had eaten up to that point. I can still taste the Vindaloo! I don't know about people getting fired, or not, or whatever but yes Dave I'm sure that there are more than a few people who appreciate what you were doing, and probably still are. Hope to see you one of these days. PD
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:43 AM

To Phil Dwyer

Hi Phil,

Thanks fer the kind words....High praise comin from you, truly humbling..

No you didn't get fired. In fact I was real sorry ta see you leave..Yep that was a great musical summer..And that certainly qualifies you as an ex alumni of the band....

Not only were you a great piano player who truly understood the meaning of the word accompanist, you're also an outstanding horn player..And a consummate proffessional..Always on time, always clean and sober, always properly attired and you always took care of business..And inspite of your ability no attitude. And generous to a fault ..Ya gotta like that dont'cha..Ya don’t fire those kinda guys ya try and keep ‘em.

I was at your last concert at Esquimalt High.... what a collection of great players and a super program..Ya sounded like a million bucks as usual..I was expecting it ta be a showcase for your horn playing. How generous to give all the other guys so much space..And how great they all sounded..

I would have come up and said Hi ...However I know how I feel at the end of a gig these days I just wanna go home ta bed.. gettin olds a bitch.. And frankly ya probably wouldn't have recognized me anyways, It's been a long time, like I said gettin olds a bitch. Hugh walked right past me and obviously didn’t recognize me and frankly these days I like it that way. I can sorta wonder around anonymously. Interacting takes lotsa energy and I try and save as much of that as I can fer practicing . Ross did come up and say hi and I told him to say hi from me????

They used ta call Joe the shadow cos he always disappeared after a gig??? That’s kinda what I wanna do these days, disappear????

Yep I remember cookin Indian food for you, can't remember the details. Seems ta me the last time we had dinner together at my place I picked you up in the old Aston Martin on Brookliegh and made Greek food for you.. Next time yer in town if ya need a place ta kip and ya'd like some Indian Food get in touch... I'm told I still make the best Vindaloo this side of the Punjab....It would be great ta see ya again…

Sincerely David Keen

Last edited by neekamv8 : Jul 10, 2005 at 12:52 AM. Reason: grammer
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:51 AM

ta coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTCopper
All of my apologies, meant no disrespect to you. I made the mistake of hopping on this "train" started by someone else. All of my best and hope that you have a speedy recovery. Take care and I will delete all of my posts that I made in response to this thread started by someone else. Everyone seemed to have the same response, so I was just poking a little fun....my apologies.
It takes strength of character ta apologize coop....

Apology accepted...............dk
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:25 AM

You didn't mention Dave Keen, who has also fired everyone on this list from his band...

There, happy now? I put the bleeping smiley face after the original comment. Should have done that in the first place...

Hope you feel better Dave.

Last edited by NoahBecker : Jul 11, 2005 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 11, 2005, 02:50 PM

noah becker

No frankly I'm not happy ya need ta apologize, retract the statement and the thread cos it's not true. That'll make me happy..

Read my original response...Ya can read can't ya?????

If ya gonna talk about me when I'm not around to defend myself ya better get it right.....dk

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: