Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Seen / Heard
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mar 5, 2005, 10:39 PM

David Friesen Concert with Miles Black and Tom Keenlyside opening

Hi,
I wanted to let people know about a concert that i'm sponsoring with bassist David Friesen on May the 27th 2005, at the Maple Ridge Arts Centre and Theater. Opening for David will be Miles Black and Tom Keenlyside(who are currently working on a cd together in their band Altered Laws).
I'm also sponsering a jazz workshop for all intruments with David Friesen at my home in Deroche(located between Mission and Harrison). For more concert and workshop info check out my website or David's:

http://www.larkspurlandscapes.com/Concerts.htm

http://www.davidfriesen.net/

I first saw David Friesen play about 29 years ago, in a pub in Portland, Oragon. I've never heard anyone before or since squeeze so much sound and rythem out of a bass. I was only 19 at the time, and because of my age deficit i got chucked out of the bar after just 2 tunes.(such a drag for my then older mate!) I guess David felt sorry for us, because he came out and gave us a copy of his first album, which i still enjoy listening to. Since then he's made over 65 of his own recordings with some of the greats of jazz, and over a hundred more as a side man. Some of the notable musicians David has played with include: Woody Shaw, Dexter Gorden, Memphis Slim, John Handy, Dizzy Gillespie, Paul Horn, Chick Corea, Stan Getz, Bud Shank, Elmer Gill, Mal Waldron, Larry Coryell, Ralph Towner, Paul McCandless, Uwe Kropinski and many more. He's had many other accomplishments which you can check out on his or my website, including having conducted 100's of workshops around the world. David's playing and recording covers a range of jazz styles. His solo music is truely music of the soul.

Wendy Bales
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (23.1 KB, 622 views)

Last edited by Larkspur : Mar 13, 2005 at 06:19 PM. Reason: adding on

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: