Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:04 PM

Arrow Rime on Commercial Dr. opens its doors by Boxing Day

Hello Friends!

Great news for Vancouver music fans!

By late December 2004 (by Boxing Day), a new performance space & licensed restaurant, will open its doors to Vancouverites. Located in the heart of East Vancouver’s beloved Commercial Drive neighbourhood (1130 Commercial Dr. next to Tio Pepe’s), Rime will fill a niche in Vancouver, as a relaxed & intimate community gathering place/neighbourhood hang, fully licensed, authentic Eurasian eatery (classic Turkish & fusion food) and superb music room, with a focus on strengthening & nurturing the local music scene, as well as showcasing vital music from across the globe. Cream of Vancouver's music community, along with visiting players of all stripes (anything from bluegrass to opera...really!!) & music fans will have a venue, on which they can rely for regular presentation of quality music with great food and drink at reasonable prices.

We at Rime take great pride in what we have created, a one-of-a-kind performance space & eatery in Vancouver and hope you dig & support our vision. We look forward to having you as our guests & to spoil you with world famous Turkish hospitality, food & international music of high caliber. More details to come at the Zula site (www.zula.ca) & on the Rime site (www.rime.ca), which will be up & running soon. We will have calendars on both sites, which will outline in detail all the activities, including, based on support, five nights of music (plenty of jazz & world music), a film night & a special projects night (poetry & literary readings, burlesque, workshops & more)...

Hope to see you all soon...

Your faithful bartender & neighbourhood music presenter,
Cem

Support Live Music In Your Community!!!

Opening Week Celebration at Rime with Dennis Gonzalez Yells At Eels joined by Mark Taylor, Paul Plimley & Peggy Lee -- Zula Productions presents Texas composer, jazz trumpet icon, improviser Dennis Gonzalez, who will play original music written specifically for this event with sons Aaron on basses & Stefan on drums, with New York French hornist Mark Taylor (of Henry Threadgill's Very Very Circus fame) plus locals, pianist Paul Plimley (Dec. 26) & cellist Peggy Lee (Dec.27). Dec. 26 & 27, 9 pm, Rime (1130 Commercial Drive). Tix$12/10 at the door.

Opening Week Celebration at Rime with Mark Taylor with eye of newt "The Secret Adventures Of Tom Thumb" -- Zula Productions presents from New York City, jazzman, French hornist, composer, improviser Mark Taylor with Vancouver's eye of newt which includes Stefan Smulovitz (viola, laptop), Brad Turner (trumpet), Viviane Houle (voice), Pepe Danza (percussion, shakuhachi), perform live to a special screening of "The Secret Adventures Of Tom Thumb" & a second set of original music. Dec. 29, 9 pm, Rime (1130 Commercial Drive). Tix$12/10 at the door.

Opening Week Celebration & New Year's Eve Party At Rime (any excuse to hear 4 great bands in one night) -- Zula Productions presents New Year's Eve sonic marathon extravaganza with singer-songwriter Kevin House, eccentric Turkish pop band Something About Reptiles, all-star avant-jazz band Tony Wilson Quintet with New York City French hornist Mark Taylor & Wilson/Taylor Duo. Dec. 31, 10 pm, Rime (1130 Commercial Drive). Tix $25/20 at the door.

For more information, please call Rime at 604.215.1130

Last edited by zula : Feb 28, 2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2004, 10:33 AM
Administrator

This is great, exciting news!

Cem Zafir has been responsible for some of the most interesting and adventurous live music presentations in Vancouver of the last five years and his involvement in this new venue promises great things ahead for our music scene.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:14 AM

Thank you, Brian, for your support, generosity of time and spirit. I truly hope that we have "a live one" here!

My hope is that more venues like Rime will pop up & help get us all excited about live music again. We need more rooms, which remind us of the importance of community & music...

Last edited by zula : Dec 18, 2004 at 08:34 AM.
Old Dec 19, 2004, 02:17 AM

Exciting Rime!

Dropped in to check out the space and although the boys have a lot of work to do in the next week, it's gonna be fabulous; I think it's very exciting, a much needed addition to the Vancouver music scene and a unique cuisine to boot!

As I noted in another thread, Cem pointed out to me that Dennis Gonzalez' website http://www.dennisgonzalez.com has free and legal MP3s for all the tracks on 8 of his full albums[!] including a couple of Yells at Eels recordings, the trio coming to the Rime. Check out http://www.dennisgonzalez.com/audio/audio.php if you need any more convincing that Dennis Gonzalez is a great Texan trumpeter who'll blow your socks off!
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:44 PM

Thank you, Nou, as always, for your kind words & endless work in championing creative music. & thanks much for the Gonzalez links...I swear, I meant to eventually... we're so friggin' wrapped up in getting the place open by Sunday, that, somewhat quietly, I'm freaking out!!

Brian, I hope you don't mind...I wanted to post a link to a thread I started over at JazzCorner's Speakeasy in July of 2003. I'm putting it up for several reasons...I think, some folks here may wanna follow some of the thinking that went into the planning of the place.

Also, JazzCorner may be a good model for this site for various reasons...particularly, when it comes to the level of participation. I like your style of organization better than that at JC, actually, how you put in so much of yourself into the site in introducing & giving a voice to a lot of great music in a multi-pronged approach.

What amazes me is that the level of "lurkership" is so much higher here, on this forum, than folks jumping in and saying what's on their minds. At JC, people just speak up all the time. I wish, we had more of that here. Check out the link below and I look forward to many suggestions, questions or whatever from the VancouverJazz.Com crowd...

Here's the link.

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Hey Cem,

I think the "lurker" issue came up before in General Discussions. Too lazy to look for it, now. What I really want to talk about is Rime and how the opening went. I was looking forward with a much enthusiasm to being there last night but I just couldn't make it.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:52 AM

I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful opening night and the following night!! The band played most beautifully & naturally. Dennis, Aaron, & Stefan Gonzalez sure are a major force! They have the whole intuitive playing thing down as a family. Mark Taylor does things with the French horn that seem impossible, in the context of jazz & improvised music (btw, both nights were rather structured & more Chicago fire-music type playing, as opposed to completely free-improv...they opened with Ornette's "Happy House" both nights to bless the place). Paul Plimley & Peggy Lee made us proud as always, adding lovely layers to the music & approaching it from a different perspective than our visitors, which made for a very unusual & beautiful mix.

We had decent turn-out for both nights. Sadly, our kitchen will not be operational until New Year's Eve. We hope to keep on keepin' on with fresh music, primo food & drink, great friends & warm vibe! So, come visit y'all...

TONIGHT AT RIME

NEW YER'S EVE AT RIME

Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:51 AM
nakedcity

Congratulations Cem! I really enjoyed myself on Monday Night! I sat in the back! and had a great view. The Gonzalez Trio, as Cem said, had a very intuitive vibe, and it was clear that they really like playing together. I hope they come and see us again, that kinda vibe is always appreciated. I think the highlight for me was how the band caught the attention of the very chatty kids in the back, by the end of the night, the talking had turned to attentive listening, for a few!

See ya on New Years!
Rob,
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:16 AM

Thank you, Rob! Glad you enjoyed yourself. I noticed about the chatty kids & gently asked them to talk a little quiter. The music grabbed them as soon as they paid attention. We're lucky with the back section, actually, as it's elevated and the noise stays back there for the most part. In the future, we may section it off for chatterboxes & folks who just wanna eat & not pay cover... See you tonight for a killer NYE bash!

Old Dec 31, 2004, 11:34 AM
nakedcity

Your Welcome! Vancouver is fortunate to have you back

See ya tonight!
Rob
Old Jan 1, 2005, 09:55 AM
rovert

Chatty?!!?

Chatter bad, listening good.
My two bits worth is that a listening environment would be preferable to a dual purpose venue. There are plenty of coffee shops and clubs for yakking, and precious few for listening to interesting music.
I'm no expert, but I suspect closing off the back would create way more bouncing sound in the front half than is desirable. The venue sounded good for the primarily acoustic sounds of Yells at Eels et al, and my ears and I like it. Making the space smaller would also create issues for larger, louder groups.

I love having a place like this in the neighbourhood and will patronize as frequently as $$ and time allow.

There you go - one less lurker!
Old Jan 2, 2005, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert
Chatter bad, listening good.
There you go - one less lurker!
rovert, welcome to VancouverJazz.Com! Thanks for jumping in from out of the darkness with great observations. I agree with you, that we need more listening rooms, but in order for those rooms to continue existing we need to make $, somehow, from other avenues, such as food & drink. For that to be a reality, the place needs to be accessed by many types of people, some of whom I will not tolerate, if they're too noisy, don't worry... . If we do section off the back area, we will use theatre curtains or other dampening material, which will help level off the liveness of the room. In the end, you may be right & we may have to go in one direction or other...we'll see. We are making daily improvements to the place & are closed until Tuesday or so, (I guess, we could've called it the Tortoise or something...it's taking us long enough...), at which time we hope to open for both lunch & dinner daily & have plenty of live music starting a week from now or so...

Old Jan 7, 2005, 02:08 AM

Hello friends,

We had a fantastic opening week with some very lovely performances. A big thank you to all the performers & those in attendance!

Here's a partial January line-up:

----------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 7, 10:30 pm

Aeroplane Trio
(formerly JP Carter Trio)
JP Carter - trumpet
Russell Sholberg - bass
Skye Brooks - drums

Tight, home-grown, vital, fresh avant-jazz & improv

$5

---------------------------------------------------

Friday, January 14 & Saturday, January 15, 10 pm

Veda Hille

Local singer-songwriter, pianist performs two nights of solo music at her neighbourhood hang.

$12/10 (students & seniors)

Friday, January 21, 10 pm

FourHead

Brad Muirhead - bass trombone
Jared Burrows - guitar & accordion
Russell Sholberg - bass
Skye Brooks - drums

Vancouver jazz greats in tasty new inside-out avant-jazz unit

----------------------------------------------------

Saturday, January 22, 10 pm

Ronnie Artur & His Orkestrio

New bohemian beats, beat musings, amusing bits, bit of improv

Wishing you all a joyous 2005! Support live music in your community!

Cheers,
Cem Zafir

-----------------------
Zula Productions / Rime
1130 Commercial Drive
Vancouver, BC
V5L 3X2
---------------
---------------
www.zula.ca
hey@zula.ca
-----------------------

Last edited by zula : Jan 31, 2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 11:50 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE RELEASE, POST, FORWARD THIS INFORMATION AS YOU SEE FIT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZULA presents FEBRUARY 2005 EVENTS at RIME:

Feb. 1/ ARTIST IN RESIDENCE: KEVIN HOUSE (9 PM)
Every Tuesday in February, come hear this troubadour's spooky, impressionistic fairy tales with ornate, burnished melodies, always with new friends...

Kevin House Revue with special guests BLIND GOD "vampire-delta-blues/hip-hop"

Feb. 2-3/ BRUCE FREEDMAN QUARTET (9 PM)
Creative fire music by veteran jazz unit with Bruce Freedman - saxophones; Rod Murray - trombone; Clyde Reed - bass; Stan Taylor - drums

Feb. 4/ GEOFF BERNER (10 PM)
Folk, punk & klezmer have never sounded so vital & fresh melded together, as evident in this amazing singer, accordionist, songwriter's peculiar, wry, witty & original expressive style

Feb. 5/ ERDAL KÜN - EMAD ARMOUSH - DENIS FRANCK (10 PM)
Turkish string player meets Syrian instrumentalist to play gorgeous, intricate Mediterranean melodies, joined by an exceptional Canadian percussionist. Erdal Kün - saz/baglama; Emad Armoush - ney, guitar, percussion, voice; Denis Franck - frame drum & other percussion

plus AMA LUNA (9 PM)
Original "lullabies for the fragile" from singer/songwriter, guitarist with a passionate voice & unique delivery

Feb. 6/ FILM NIGHT: -Coen Brothers Month- MILLER’S CROSSING (9 PM)
Every Sunday night in February at 9 pm, we'll be showing classic films from the deliciously twisted brains of Joel & Ethan Coen.

Come dressed as a character from the movie & get a free appy! Various whiskey & aperitif specials!

Feb. 7/ CLOSED MONDAYS

Feb. 8/ ARTIST IN RESIDENCE: KEVIN HOUSE (9 PM)
KEVIN HOUSE REVUE with special guest: KEN BEATTIE - singer/writer of country noir band RADIOGRAM & RC JOSEPH of KINGSWAY

Feb. 9/ EVAN'S HIP-HOP & RIME NIGHT: IMAGINATION'S TREETRUNK (9 PM)
Imagination's Treetrunk Label Showcase featuring up & coming, positively conscious, underground, Canadian hip-hop dripping with...you know...: Guha - beats; DJ Moves - turntablist; DJ Effect - turntablist; Kaboom - MC; Aspire - MC; Azreal - MC; Chadio - MC; Illiterate - MC; Shay - MC; Cee!!! - MC; Catch 23 - MC

Feb. 10/ ADAMA (9 PM)
Multi-talented quartet exploring the boundaries of classical, contemporary jazz and world music, composition and improvisation with Itamar Erez - guitar, piano; Tony Nickles - oboe, English-horn; Laurence Mollerup - bass; Stefan Cihelka - tabla & percussion

Feb. 11/ DARKBLUEWORLD (10 PM)
Original, relevant, culturally engaged & emotionally, intellectually uncompromising songs by former ANIMAL SLAVE & her musically-gifted friends with Elizabeth Fisher - vocals; Ron Samworth - guitar; Steven Nikleva - guitar; JP Carter - trumpet; Pete Schmitt - bass; Skye Brooks - drums

Feb. 12/ WYCKHAM PORTEOUS (10 PM)
Revered singer/songwriter & recording artist with a tasty country bent. Wyckham Porteous - vocals, guitar; Steven Drake - strings, vocals; Rob Becker - bass

Feb. 12/ GALITCHA (3 PM)
When traditional Indian rhythms meet popular Western instruments,an irresistible new sound is born. GALITCHA invites audiences to experience a host of musical sensations - from love songs to lively dance tunes. Alternating between French and English, the performers explain the meaning of songs sung in the Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi languages. Kuljit Sodhi - vocals, percussion; Stefan Cihelka - tabla, percussion; Linsey Wellman - flute, soprano & alto sax, vocals; Chris MacLean - vocals, harmonium, guitar, dulcimer & ik tara

Saturday 12th: 3 pm and Sunday 13th: 7 pm

Feb. 13/GALITCHA (7 pm) ($10)
Music with a strong North Indian footprint overlaid with influences from western folk, jazz and instrumentation from around the world with Kuljit Sodhi - vocals, percussion; Stefan Cihelka - tabla, percussion; Linsey Wellman - flute, soprano & alto sax, vocals; Chris MacLean - vocals, harmonium, guitar, dulcimer & ik tara

Feb. 13/ FILM NIGHT: -Coen Brothers Month- BARTON FINK (9 PM)Come dressed as a character from the movie & get a free appy! Various bourbons & Southern spirits on special!

Feb. 14/Open for VALENTINE'S DAY: KATE HAMMETT-VAUGHAN & RON SAMWORTH “HAUNTED HEARTS: Songs For Disenchanted Lovers" (9 PM)
A Valentine without the sugar coating; songs and texts of love and loss, soundscapes and musings on affairs of the heart by well-loved vocalist
& guitarist

Feb. 15/ ARTIST IN RESIDENCE: KEVIN HOUSE (9 PM)
KEVIN HOUSE REVUE with special guests: LYNN KELLMAN and DALE DARLINGTON

Feb. 16/ GREAT AUNT IDA (9 PM)
Great songs by a great band ... with fond memories of the *great* Sugar Refinery with Ida Nilsen - piano & vocals; JP Carter - trumpet; Annie Wilkinson - bass; Barry Mirochnick - drums

Feb. 17/ IVAN COYOTE & ANNA CAMILLERI (9 PM)
Fresh, original spoken word & performance art from two wildly talented artists

Feb. 18/ MAQAM (10 PM)
Authentic sounds & textures of Arabic music from a modern improvisational perspective with Gord Grdina - oud; Jesse Zubot - violin; Jeremy Holmes - bass & Liam MacDonald - drums

Feb. 19/ FRANÇOIS HOULE'S EPOS & PROPHECIES (10 PM)Clarinettist's big beat electronic explosion summit with François Houle - clarinet; Jesse Zubot - violin; Giorgio Magnanensi - electronics

Feb. 20/ FILM NIGHT: -Coen Brothers Month- RAISING ARIZONA (9 PM)
Come dressed as a character from the movie & get a free appy! Buds on special!

Feb. 21/ CLOSED MONDAYS

Feb. 22/ ARTIST IN RESIDENCE: KEVIN HOUSE (9 PM)
KEVIN HOUSE REVUE with special guests: poet ALEXANDER OLIVER and THE WOODWARDS

Feb. 23/ VIVIANE HOULE / JP CARTER / ANDRE LACHANCE / ANDREW GREENWALD (9 PM)
Sublime, spontaneous songs combust with audacious improvisation by local greats & NYC drummer with Viviane Houle - voice; JP Carter - trumpet; Andre LaChance - bass and Andrew Greenwald - drums

Feb. 24/ STEFAN SMULOVITZ / PEGGY LEE / ANDREW GREENWALD (9 PM)
Dazzling improv trio featuring local greats & one of NYC's rising star drummers with Stefan Smulovitz - viola, laptop; Peggy Lee - cello; Andrew Greenwald - drums

Feb. 25/ PUSH3 (10 PM)
Evocative, innovative blend of pop, world, folk and soundscapes with Kathryn Sutherland - guitar, vocals; Melanie Sereda - cello; Albert Klassen - bass

Feb. 26/ SOMETHING ABOUT REPTILES (10 PM)
Turkish pop & folk songs a la Marlena Dietrich by lusciously eccentric diva Burcu & her trusty band with Burcu Özdemir - vocals; Alison Jenkins - clarinet, accordion; Clayton Murray - guitar; Russell Sholberg - bass; Amrit Bafi - darbuka

Feb. 27/ FILM NIGHT: -Coen Brothers Month- THE BIG LEBOWSKI (9 PM)
Come dressed as a character from the movie & get a free appy! White Russians on special!

Feb. 28/ CLOSED MONDAYS

RIME IS OPEN TUESDAY - SATURDAY: NOONISH to 1 AM
SUNDAY: NOONISH to MIDNIGHT
OPEN FOR LUNCH & DINNER

$5-10 COVER (SLIDING SCALE)FOR MOST EVENTS
SHOWTIME: SUNDAY-THURSDAY 9 PM; FRIDAY-SATURDAY 10 PM
(Unless otherwise noted)

Come check out this great room!

Cheers,
Cem Zafir

-----------------------
Zula Productions / Rime
1130 Commercial Drive
Vancouver, BC
V5L 3X2
---------------
---------------
www.zula.ca
hey@zula.ca
-----------------------

Last edited by zula : Feb 1, 2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 02:19 AM

Whoah! Very stoked to see Andrew Greenwald popping up. We were in Banff together in 2002... he's a true original... really great drummer. A total blast to watch, he'll mess you up. Can't wait to see him again, this is great news! Who's bringing him out?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: