Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Jazz on the Air
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:41 AM

Invitation

I don't know if the movie is any good, but anyone interested in hearing familiar jazz standards in their original setting might be interested in catching the movie "Invitation" (1952) on Turner Classic Movies this morning - or at least the opening theme, anyway, by the great Bronislau Kaper. Which reminds me - I was watching a clip of Hedy Lamarr in "Samson and Delilah" the other day and recognised a familiar theme on the soundtrack: "Delilah" by Victor Young, familiar from Clifford Brown and Max Roach's version. It made me wonder if ANY of the soundtrack themes from today's films could ever make Standard status...
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:23 PM

I haven't seen the movie, but Invitation is one of my favourite tunes.

Stan Getz plays a great version on his "Live" at the Left Bank CD, but I think the first version I heard that turned me on to the tune was on Mike Allen's One Step Closer CD a dozen or so years ago.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:44 PM

I love Getz' version from that Left Bank album Ben but for me Joe Henderson's version caps it. Joe's version is on "Tetragon". As a matter of fact....I'll open next week's The Jazz Show (June 21) with Joe's version!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:01 PM

Curtis Fuller and Bobby Timmons are bonus ...

Ok, I'm game, I vote for the Art Blakey Jazz Messengers' version on Impulse with Wayne Shorter & Lee Morgan:

N.
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Jun 16, 2010, 02:26 AM

I remember the first time I ever heard that track.....Wayne Shorter's solo gave me a near heart attack.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:59 AM

I'd forgotten about the Art Blakey Jazz Messengers version — or even that I had that CD. I agree — it's wonderful! Thanks for the reminder.

I look forward to hearing Joe Henderson play it, Gavin.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:33 AM

Just to get deeper into the question I posed at the top of this thread...what was the last movie theme to acheive actual "Standard" status, let's say to be recorded in more than 3 memorable jazz versions? I'm going to go out on a limb here and credit the last of the old-time "themesters", Henry Mancini - maybe "Days of Wine and Roses"? Gavin?

Al
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:19 AM

Johnny Mandel and Paul Francis Webster's "Love Theme from 'The Sandpiper'......we know it as "The Shadow of Your Smile". Recordings by Dexter Gordon, Milt Jackson, Art Farmer, Helen Merrill, Bill Evans and so it goes.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

I believe the first song written specifically for a movie that became a huge hit and a standard was "Laura" from the movie of that name. Great movie, great song. Composed by David Raksin.

From NYT:
Quote:
In ''Laura,'' a detective played by Dana Andrews falls in love with a woman who has apparently been murdered (Gene Tierney). The score, based on that single recurring melody, was a sensation. After the release of the movie, Johnny Mercer was hired to put words to Mr. Raksin's melody, and the song became No. 1 on the Hit Parade. Mr. Raksin, whose wife had left him the day before he sat down at the piano, often said the theme touched people because it was about the yearning that comes with unrequited love.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:24 PM

You may be right about that. www.imdb.com is a great site. I was able to search a few titles/composers off the top of my head; here are some songs written as movie title themes that became standards. Somebody feel free to bring this up to date

1944 Laura - David Raksin
1947 Green Dolphin Street - Bronislau Kaper
1948 Night Has a 1000 Eyes - Jerry Brainin
1949 Samson and Delilah(?) Victor Young (I'm not sure if "Delilah" is the title theme)
1949 My Foolish Heart - Victor Young
1952 Invitation - Bronislau Kaper
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:52 PM

Stella by Starlight (Victor Young) is also from a 1944 movie (the same year as "Laura") but it's not the title theme. The movie is "The Uninvited".
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:03 PM

This is from the imdb soundtrack entry for the classic Karloff movie "The Mummy" (1932)!

"Beautiful Love"
(1931) (uncredited)
Music by Victor Young
Played during the ball sequence where Helen is telepathically called to the museum
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Walker View Post
Johnny Mandel and Paul Francis Webster's "Love Theme from 'The Sandpiper'......(...)... Bill Evans and so it goes.
Bill's version of "Suicide is Painless" (theme from "M.A.S.H.", Johnny Mandel) blows my mind.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 04:16 PM

The James Bond themes?

Here's a jazz standards website with one very thin page for 70s to date:
http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/index-06.htm

Interesting list of standards and their origins though, mostly show tunes for the early ones; how do you define a standard anyway? Real book? Different tunes might be standards in different communities, Haden's First Song (for Ruth)? The Peacocks? ... N

PS. I'll take the challenge and play the Blakey/Shorter version of Invitation on the A-Trane this week, who says radio doesn't listen?

N.
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: