Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Seen / Heard
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 9, 2010, 11:18 AM

Karl Schwonik group in victoria @ hermanns jan 9th

Karl Schwonik - Drums
Chris Andrew - Piano
Kodi Hutchinson - Bass
Brent Mah - Sax

the group was very good, with karl leading the band and aside from being a very good drummer, also very good on the mike between songs every once and a while... they played many original tunes with a tendency towards odd time signatures... i am reminded of the brad mehldau group and these guys did a few well known tunes - 'all the things you are' and 'i love you' in odd time, with i love you mutating into an original by karl that was also very enjoyable and different...aside from what seemed like a brad mehldau influence was perhaps a keith jarrett euro group from the 70's influence as well... ecm comes to mind... i thought they played and interacted very well together and i note they are playing in kelowna and vernon later in the month for anyone in the interior, they are definitely worth going to.. check his website for dates...
http://www.karlschwonik.com/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: