Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:42 AM

Blog discussion

Thought I'd post this blog and discussion about the jazz festival that came across my desk.http://vancouverjazzfest2011.blogspo...letter-to.html
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:49 PM

Hey Coat

Looks like someone didn't get a gig and is upset about it. To me this letter is just sour grapes dressed in fancy clothes.

The letter writer doesn't have the guts to use his/her own name so I don't want to make too much fuss about it, but here my 2 cents anyway...

The bottom line is that CJBS has done a lot to launch the careers of many fine musicians in the city and has done a lot to put our scene on the musical map. Many musicians in this city owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

CJBS programs the music that they like and believe is important. Of course their decisions are going to be influenced by many financial and political factors as well. No one should be surprised at this. They have a right to book whomever they like. If that means a lot of Norwegians, Swedes etc who are funded by their governments, then so be it. Good on those countries for getting their musicians out into the world.

The writer seems to have all the answers. It reminds me of all the armchair hockey coaches I've been listening to of late. It is really easy to make suggestions from the outside but just try getting funding, working out the logistics of big events, dealing with contract rider details etc etc. In booking over a hundred shows in the last couple of years I have only ever asked the people that I like and believe in. I could care less about the quota of men to women or Norwegians to African Americans or anything else. Why should it be different for CJBS? If the writer doesn't like things as they are, then he/she should make something different happen on their own.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:03 PM

AMEN!

Perfectly stated Jared. Nice work. I'd like to add something but there is nothing add. You're post is near perfect.

Old Jun 30, 2011, 11:46 AM

Vancouver Scene

I'd like to comment a little further on this. I didn't comment on the "Open Letter", because, like you, Jared I don't usually comment on anonymous posts of this type.
Ken Pickering of the jazz festival has made a serious long time commitment to supporting music in this city (going many years before becoming artistic director of the jazz festival here ... as a DJ at Co-op Radio, an owner of Black Swan Records for many years, long time fan etc) so his sincerity and hard work are not questioned, in my opinion.The cultural landscape has changed considerably in the last decade and continues to with comments like those recently made my Stephen Harper's finance minister recently regarding warnings to potential funding cuts to arts organizations. It puts everything up for discussion. The "open letter" has points worth looking at but I found some of the reaction where the real fruit of the exercise can be found.
Read Giorgio Magnanensi's considered letter that talks about artistic and cultural values in our society. This is where we can start to have meaningful discussion, I believe.
There are many reasons to appreciate long time champions like Ken Pickering and unsung heroines like the Western Front's Musical Director DB Boyko who has facilitated so many artists and projects as she quietly builds our province's cultural legacy here and abroad. Let's sing praises of our "doers" like Ken, DB and Cory Weeds but not shy away from critical discussion about the challenges we face and how to more effectively make change an evolve in the most creative and positive way that we are capable of.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: