Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Passages
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Mar 14, 2011, 08:49 PM

Unhappy Joe Morello

The great drummer Joe Morello passed away March 13 in N.J., at age 82. Best known fo his tenure with the Dave Brubeck Quartet and his impeccable playing on 'Take 5' and other jazz classics.
Joe has appeared on over 120 albums and CD's, of which 60 were with the Dave Brubeck Quartet.
He won the Downbeat magazine award for best drummer 5 years in a row, the Playboy award 7 years in a row, and is the only drummer to win every music poll for five years in a row, including Japan, England, Europe, Australia and South America.
He is mentioned in Who's Who in the East, 12th edition, and the Blue Book, which is a listing of persons in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United States who have achieved distinction in the arts, sciences, business or the professions.
Revered by fans and musicians laike, Joe is considered to be one of the finest, and is probably the most celebrated, drummers in the history opf jazz.
R.I.P. Joe.........
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:31 PM

Joe Morello Drum Clinic: 1967 Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver

I am sure you are correct that Joseph A. Morello (July 17, 1928 – March 12, 2011) reached the Zenith of drum technical ability!

Joe began his music career in classical music and became a virtuoso vilonist. He soloed twice before the Boston symphony at ages 9 and 12 but after hearing his idol Jascha Heifetz he decided he could not be better than Heifetz and as a result he decided to switch to jazz drumming!

Joe's extraordinary talent and skill ability is easily visible in his high degree of independence as he performs.

His Take Five solo is a stunning example!

"Take Five" is the song Joe is commonly known for on the album Time Out by the Dave Bruebeck Quartet.

As you jazz folk know, "Take Five" is not a standard 4/4 time (that would be too easy!?) it is in 5/4 time!

At a drum clinic I attended at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver in 1967 Joe played a clearly recognizable "Jingle Bells" by varying pressure on his small side tom!

I asked Joe one question 'how long did you practice drums and he said: "Mother had to call me three times for supper!"

Needless to say those of us who attended were so blown away by his skill that we wanted to go home and burn our drums!

I wish I could remember some of the other technical aspects of drumming Joe showed us that day?...Do any of you recall?

Last edited by Ken Walker : Mar 24, 2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: better order of ideas