Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:29 AM

CLASSICAL JOINT REUNION! Mark the date. OCT 8

Friday October 8th, 2010 is the date for the CLASSICAL JOINT REUNION PARTY AND JAM at The Ironworks.
We are hoping to connect with people who remember the Joint, who were fans, people who played there, people who would like to sit in at the Jam Session, etc. The Joint was a seminal and beloved place for so many of us.
On Friday, October 8th, in collaboration with Coastal Jazz and The Ironworks, we will celebrate the Joint and pay tribute to Andreas Nothiger, who founded and ran the club for all those years.
Please sign on so that we can keep track of you and let you know more details as we progress. If you are a MUSICIAN who wants to be part of the jam session, please let us know. If you have JOINT MEMORABILIA that you would like to share in a display, let us know. Or, if you're just a fan of great music, mark the date and tell your friends. Let's make sure THE JOINT IS JUMPIN'!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:22 PM

HURRAH!!!! Thanks for posting this great news. I will surely try to make it if at all possible as I'd love to.

I remember you Kate, from the Joint when you used to sing there. I was one of the regular dancing waitresses and sometimes door person starting 1978 I think ... so heard and saw you when you were still a baby starting out Wish I had photos and memorabilia from the joint but I only have some memories. A reunion will be a total blast for everyone!

Take care and hope to see folks there.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 04:23 PM

Joint Reunion

I hope we contact Janet Barnes (Janet Stockton then) about the event. She's on Facebook.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it because I will be installing an exhibition in Lisbon, Portugal.

Sounds like something that should happen more often.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:41 PM
Administrator

I guarantee Janet will be there.

I saw Andreas yesterday. We had the following exchange:

Andreas: I'm not going.

Me: Me neither.

You can bet we'll both be there. Besides, Andreas has to be there to kick every one out at the end.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation View Post
Besides, Andreas has to be there to kick every one out at the end.
...or at the beginning. ;-)

Wish I could be there! The next one for sure. I'm wondering: did anyone check into actually getting into the space that actually housed the Joint? Perhaps the present owners would get behind a friendly one-night takeover.

Al
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:02 PM

Hello,
I came here because I heard about the reunion and was searching the net for some names.

I first came to the CJ in the summer of 1967 when it actually played classical music - although records only. Six months after first opening, Joseph and Joel bought it and I started playing there regularly. I have many memories from the early days of the Joint. Certainly it would be nice to see (or at least find out what happened to them) some of the old regulars.

This has prompted me to start writing down some of what I remember, and I started by making a list of some of the early players and patrons. I'll be back to share more - this is just my first post.

~ Ole
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:17 PM

Great story Ole. Maybe it's a typo but Joseph's partner was Joel not Noel. Joel is still around, worked for years on the trains and comes out for many Jazz events. I'm certain he'll be at the re-union as will I. My history with the Joint started about 1972 when I went to sit-in with my old buddy, tenor saxophonist Nick McGowan (he now lives on Hornby). The rest is history.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Walker View Post
Great story Ole. Maybe it's a typo but Joseph's partner was Joel not Noel. Joel is still around, worked for years on the trains and comes out for many Jazz events. I'm certain he'll be at the re-union as will I. My history with the Joint started about 1972 when I went to sit-in with my old buddy, tenor saxophonist Nick McGowan (he now lives on Hornby). The rest is history.
That's funny, last time I went to Hornby with the family, I went to hear Tony Wilson playing a little local gig and it turned out that he was playing with Nick McGowan (who I'd never actually heard before). Who do you think I ran into there? Andreas! He was as surprised to see me as I was to see him!

Whatever happened to his "historical timeline" project anyway, haven't heard anything about that for quite a few years ... N
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nou Dadoun View Post
That's funny, last time I went to Hornby with the family, I went to hear Tony Wilson playing a little local gig and it turned out that he was playing with Nick McGowan (who I'd never actually heard before). Who do you think I ran into there? Andreas! He was as surprised to see me as I was to see him!
So he's still playing. Good!

Quote:
Whatever happened to his "historical timeline" project anyway, haven't heard anything about that for quite a few years ... N
I've got a paper copy which is a nice collectors item. You can find his Synoptic History Chart on the web as History of the history chart. Actually, I'm going to go have a read of that page right now.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:30 PM

Hey Gavin!!
Yes, of course it's a typo. JOEL it is. I'll be really looking forward to seeing him. Perhaps he can remember the name of the first owner. I also hope we can find Joseph's sister. I saw her around just a few years ago. With any luck she can locate Joseph for me - I would really like to see him again. That first year Joseph and Joel stayed at my house on 17th for a while. My parents were still there then.

Quote:
Gavin:. . . Maybe it's a typo but Joseph's partner was Joel not Noel. Joel is still around, worked for years on the trains and comes out for many Jazz events. I'm certain he'll be at the re-union as will I. My history with the Joint started about 1972 when I went to sit-in with my old buddy, tenor saxophonist Nick McGowan (he now lives on Hornby). The rest is history.
I remember it. How is Nick doing? Is he playing? I ran into him in Courtenay while I was at a conference there almost 20 years ago. He recognized me, which to me was an honour, because I really looked up to him as great player at the time.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:34 PM

I used to take flute lessons from Nick McGowan (I was NOT a good student) at a place near 3rd and Arbutus where he lived. He had a cat named Philly Joe (real name Phyllis Joe). That's about as much trivia as I can remember.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:31 AM

Nick McGowan at the Joint

I started my jazz career with Nick and we played a lot back in the 1960's, including the jam with Philly Joe Jones on piano and Bob Maize on bass at the Blue Horn.

I saw Nick on Hornby and we played together at the Thatch with Tony Wilson and Annie Siegel and others. He sounded great!

Wish I could be at the Joint Reunion. Hopefully it will be a lot of fun.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:54 PM

I hope to get to the reunion, though what or where the Ironworks is I have no idea. Like Ole, I'm in Princeton (where the OLD musicians go!) and like him I performed at the Joint in the days of Joseph and Joel. In fact, it's where I met him and his sweet parents. There used to be a photo of him on the back wall, playing flute. I don't know that anyone ever listened to me singing mostly traditional British songs - most people were into their sweeties or the inevitable chess games. I had a good time, though, listening in later years to Gavin Walker and Campbell Ryga. My sweetie at the time (Elizabeth Houser) worked there for a while - it's where we met. And I have a hard copy of Andreas' history panorama timeline. I hope he's there - I'd like to thank him for his share in my education!

Jon Bartlett
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Bartlett View Post
. . . though what or where the Ironworks is I have no idea. . . .
235 Alexander Street

http://www.theironworks.ca/

Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:21 PM

Thanks, Brian!

Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: