Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Seen / Heard
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Apr 8, 2010, 07:58 AM

Seamus Blake New Release

My good friend Spike Wilner (pianist, owner of Small's in New York and producer of Small's Live Records) has just released his second set of records! In this bunch is a record by THE SEAMUS BLAKE QUINTET - LIVE AT SMALL'S. The quintet features Seamus Blake - Tenor Saxophone, Lage Lund - Guitar, Dave Kikoski - Piano, Matt Chlosey - Bass and Bill Stewart - Drums.

I havent listened to it yet but really how bad can it be? So Im going to go out on a limb and say "ITS BURNING."

Other releases of note in this batch are THE JIM ROTONDI QUINTET, THE NEAL SMITH QUINTET, and PLANET JAZZ featuring Spike himself.

I bought all of the the first batch of CDs that Spike produced and they are all fantastic. The cool thing is, if you buy the physical CD you also get the download so if you're impatient like me this is a great concept.

Old Apr 8, 2010, 05:44 PM

More Seamus news ...

Dan Blake posted this back in August:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Blake View Post
Seamus will be making a live recording at Smalls Jazz Club in NYC on August 31 and September 1 (the calendar at the club is a bit confusing, but these are the real dates). The shows will be streamed live each night. I watched a live streaming a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. There is just a rostrum camera shot, so there are no close-ups or movement of the camera at all. The sound is very good. There are two sets each night, starting at 9:00pm and 11:0pm (NY time) respectively.Here is the link for the club:

http://www.smallsjazzclub.com/index.cfm

Click on Live Video on the left-hand side of the screen.

Dan Blake
And I followed up with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nou Dadoun View Post
Just finished watching the tale end of the first night of this great quintet, another chance to catch them online tomorrow night:

Seamus Blake - Tenor Sax
Lage Lund - Guitar
Dave Kikoski - Piano
Matt Clohesy - Bass
Bill Stewart - Drums

Video's a little blocky but the sound is quite reasonable.

If you missed Seamus' wonderful set at the Cellar, this is the next best thing ... N
So this must be the one, the set was pretty tasty, should be some nice tunes.

By the way, when I was in Toronto last week, I went to visit a friend Ron Gaskin who had just come back from 3 days in Mexico with the Shuffle Demons, and the hot new Demon that went with them was none other than Seamus! (George Koller on bass was an even bigger surprise.)

The Demons and the Bloomdaddies, that would be a killer double bill! ... N
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane
Old Apr 11, 2010, 08:45 PM

Checked it out

Well as one would suspect the Seamus Blake - Live @ Smalls is killing Beautiful playing by everyone in the band. The The Jim Rotondi date is a fantastic one as well...okay now on to Planet Jazz and Neal Smith!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: