Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > General Discussions
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

We need more sex!

Did you see the cover story in this week's Straight? Now these people have the right idea. It's no wonder the Cellar gets smaller crowds than the Orpheum. Not enough sex appeal. You jazz musicians have got to get with it. It's about marketing and glamour. No more t-shirts and jeans on the bandstand.

Quote:
“There are so many talented people out there, but there’s not the jobs for the talented people, and there’s not the concerts for every talented person. You need to be special. You need to have something that that other person doesn’t have, and maybe it’s looks.”
Old Oct 29, 2006, 01:24 PM

I wish I didn't have to.... but I think I agree. Not that arts should rely on sex appeal, but rather that it does. Jazz, classical, pop.... it's marketing and you gotta stand out.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 08:11 PM

Weeds

Hey man, you can come down to the club and see me. What more sex appeal do you need. Okay, Im opening myself up on this one but oh well, I'm bored.

Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:24 PM

Yagh man crash was really pulling in the crowds...
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Nation
Did you see the cover story in this week's Straight? Now these people have the right idea. It's no wonder the Cellar gets smaller crowds than the Orpheum. Not enough sex appeal. You jazz musicians have got to get with it.
The Chan Centre had to make a second show for Chris Botti (which I presume they filled) after marketing him as "the sexiest trumpeter since Chet Baker" in all their advertising. I guess they never saw "Let's Get Lost"
Old Oct 30, 2006, 10:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to Robert Boshaw Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Boshaw
Like the trumpet player in The Commitments says: 'You play better in your suit.'

CentralCityJazz.com

'The best chance you have, if you want to rise, is to give yourself up to loneliness, fear nothing, and work hard.' - Mark Helprin
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:02 AM

You mean like this?:

Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:59 PM

I must say, Vancouver has a few of its own "sexiest trumpeters" already. I thought music appreciation came through one's ears, not one's eyes? You can market with all the sexual appeal you want, to get people in the door...but it won't keep people talking and coming back if there is no talent.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:54 AM

Cool We need more sex!

Lets bring back suits and ties for the men, like in the sexy days of the 40's and 50's!! (NOT t-shirts and jeans!) and for the women..beautiful dresses....
Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:58 AM

Fred Stride once said that if you want your music to be respected, then you should dress in a way that commands that respect. Was it Art Blakey who said "they see you before they hear you"?

Quote:
but itwon't keep people talking and coming back if there is no talent
Unless you're the "Midaevil Babes."

I remember a conversation many years ago with Fraser Macpherson in which we both agreed that one of the great things about jazz was that we'd never have to endure an album-cover photo of Dizzy Gillespie in a thong.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doheny
I remember a conversation many years ago with Fraser Macpherson in which we both agreed that one of the great things about jazz was that we'd never have to endure an album-cover photo of Dizzy Gillespie in a thong.

Old Nov 4, 2006, 10:44 PM

The very first time I ever played with Charlie Biddle I showed up wearing jeans, a sweat shirt and runners. At the end of the set Biddle introduced me as "Jesse James" and said "and remeber folks, the clothes don't make the man". Ouch.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: