Vancouver Jazz Forum Home | Calendar | Forum | Musicians | CD Releases | Radio | Gallery | Search | CONTACT  

Go Back   Vancouver Jazz Forum > Seen / Heard
FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mar 5, 2005, 11:39 PM

David Friesen Concert with Miles Black and Tom Keenlyside opening

Hi,
I wanted to let people know about a concert that i'm sponsoring with bassist David Friesen on May the 27th 2005, at the Maple Ridge Arts Centre and Theater. Opening for David will be Miles Black and Tom Keenlyside(who are currently working on a cd together in their band Altered Laws).
I'm also sponsering a jazz workshop for all intruments with David Friesen at my home in Deroche(located between Mission and Harrison). For more concert and workshop info check out my website or David's:

http://www.larkspurlandscapes.com/Concerts.htm

http://www.davidfriesen.net/

I first saw David Friesen play about 29 years ago, in a pub in Portland, Oragon. I've never heard anyone before or since squeeze so much sound and rythem out of a bass. I was only 19 at the time, and because of my age deficit i got chucked out of the bar after just 2 tunes.(such a drag for my then older mate!) I guess David felt sorry for us, because he came out and gave us a copy of his first album, which i still enjoy listening to. Since then he's made over 65 of his own recordings with some of the greats of jazz, and over a hundred more as a side man. Some of the notable musicians David has played with include: Woody Shaw, Dexter Gorden, Memphis Slim, John Handy, Dizzy Gillespie, Paul Horn, Chick Corea, Stan Getz, Bud Shank, Elmer Gill, Mal Waldron, Larry Coryell, Ralph Towner, Paul McCandless, Uwe Kropinski and many more. He's had many other accomplishments which you can check out on his or my website, including having conducted 100's of workshops around the world. David's playing and recording covers a range of jazz styles. His solo music is truely music of the soul.

Wendy Bales
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (23.1 KB, 699 views)

Last edited by Larkspur : Mar 13, 2005 at 07:19 PM. Reason: adding on
Old Mar 28, 2005, 02:14 PM
Brook

What kindof bass is that that Friesen is playing in the attached picture? I've never seen one like that. Is it electric?
Old Mar 28, 2005, 06:06 PM

Hemage bass

That's a Hemage bass, made in Austria. I know that Friesen does'nt call it an electric bass, although I'm sure it would have a pickup on it. I'm not sure if there are 1, or 3 of them altogether. I seem to remember that he keeps 1 in Europe since he plays there often. I remember Friesen saying that people he's played with, tend to like the sound of the Hemage bass better. I know that it picks up rhythms really well. I'll see what else I can dig up on it.You might find more somewhere on his website, although when I tried the hemage link, all I got was a home page in German, with no info that I could access.
Wendy, Larkspur

Last edited by Larkspur : Mar 28, 2005 at 06:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 30, 2005, 12:49 AM

Wendy was nice enough to drop off a couple of recent David Friesen discs at the station so I'll be getting them on the show (did some last week already) in the next while and I'll try to arrange an interview as the show approaches. David Friesen is a fabulous musician who has been based in Portland for many years but who hasn't been in this area for quite a long time.

I've heard him a couple of times in duet with a couple of great guitar players, John Stowell and Uwe Kropinski (who was here with Oscar Peterson last year). The John Stowell-David Friesen gig was kind of funny; about a year after I moved to Vancouver in 1979, I was the lucky winner of a CJAZ contest: a weekend for two at the Empress in Victoria for the Mon-El Jazz Weekend. This was a mini-festival organized by the late Elmer Gill along with Monty Alexander (I think) which featured Stowell, Friesen, Eddie Lockjaw Davis, Harry Sweets Edison (Sweets & Jaws), Pete Jolly, Roy McCurdy and a raft of others. Leonard Feather gave a couple of talks and showed a documentary film he'd made on Vi Redd (Paul Horn was the projectionist!). There were only about 50 festival attendees (or so besides the musicians) and everybody hung out and ate together between gigs. Pretty choice ...
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane

Last edited by Nou Dadoun : Mar 30, 2005 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Corrected error
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:43 AM

<i>There were only about 50 festival attendees </i>

That is pathetic, but unsurprising.

Things haven't changed a bit in the last 36 years, either.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:01 AM

No, it was only supposed to have about 50 attendees; I think it was about $400 per person for the weekend (in 1980 $ which of course I didn't pay) and that included rooms and meals at the Empress in Victoria. The concerts, talks and other events were in the meeting rooms at the hotel and they were reasonably full. The last concert on Sunday Night was in a larger room that was 'open to the public' but the whole weekend was more of a retreat for the musicians that we got to sit in on. Definitely a fond memory... N
The A-Trane on the air since 1986 | CFRO 100.5 FM, Vancouver BC
Fri 2:30-5:30 pm PST | http://coopradio.org/content/trane

Last edited by Nou Dadoun : Mar 30, 2005 at 11:33 AM. Reason: miswording

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: